Best plasterboard fixings to hold 9ft vertical bnlinds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice on the "best" hollow wall fixings for holding a face mounted vertical blind above kitchen windows.

Initial inspection has reveled that that the constr5uction is a thin plasterboard cavity, although I am not sure what is on the other side of the cavity.. from the outside of the building, it is white soffit/weaterhboard fringe, about 1 foot wide. The roof of the single storey kitchen is a solid flat roof. I had assume that a joist or other support would span the width of the 9ft windows, but I am not certain of this. Im also unsure if there are any batons, or other framework upon which the plasterboard is attached - I would assume so, but it sounds hollow the width of the window.

I think my only option would be to use cavity wall fittings, but am unsure which, I would think metal spring anchors may be best, or Redidrive, but the I think maybe the anchors would be best as they would spread to load accrues some of the rear of the plasterboard.

Any advice would be welcomed...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are we talking a single blind? unlikely to work as at that length the weight will damage the pulley setup pulling in back inside the blind head.
As for fixing to a hollow section it would be stronger to apply a thin baton first to spread the load as blind fittings are small and apply load over a very small area.

Sponsored Links
I suggest a timber batten glued and screwed to the wall and then fix the blind to the batten.

Behind the plasterboard there may well be a concrete lintel so arm yourself with an SDS drill to get some decent fixings into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back