best soundproofing for partition wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm dividing a room with a simple partition wall, I'll probably use 3x2 stud work , and maybe firecheck plasterboards . but I don't know what to use inbetween for sound insulation. any information appreciated, Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Aith

Did you need building regs for this wall. We want to do something similar and not sure. Our council are rubbish and will never tell you anything over the phone either....

Thanks

Jen

Sponsored Links
Did you need building regs for this wall
I hope not as I've all ready built it :)
In my case the room was once two rooms which had been knocked into one, and now has been returned into two separate rooms again.
I don't know anything about regs and councils, but I can't imagine it having anything to do with them,unless you intend to rent the rooms out.
Good luck with your wall, I would be interested to learn if you do need regs/council approval, for future reference

iaith said:
Did you need building regs for this wall
I hope not as I've all ready built it :)
In my case the room was once two rooms which had been knocked into one, and now has been returned into two separate rooms again.

Have you decorated the plasterboard yet? cos if soundproofing is important then another layer on top of one, (or better still both) walls will increase your soundproofing considerably. Standard 12.5mm will be adequate.

Also any adjoining door between the rooms should be a snug fit in the frame, with no gap underneath. Even the smallest gaps can leak a suprising amount of noise.

Thanks for the advice Deluks, the finished wall is reasonable by modern standards, but when a partition wall is built in an otherwise solid brick house, single plasterboards do seem a bit flimsy. Next time I'll do as you suggested, or better still block it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back