best way of sharpening tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is the best thing to use/ method for sharpening garden tools?

I've been given a few things: axe, shears, lawn edging shears, all of which are old, but seem like good quality (using the old method of judging ie. big and heavy!)

Is there a special tool, stone, etc. or is it better to just wait for a door-to-door- bloke with a grinder to come calling. I was saw someone take of a lawnmower blade, put it in a vice and use a reguler file on it. Think I could manage that, but does it do a decent job?

Sponsored Links
wet stone?

it is important that the metal does not heat up when you are sharpening it.

with scissor effect cutting tools, one side of the cutting edge needs to be tapered whilst the other needs to be kept as flat as possible, and a hint of bow along the length!

keen ground edges will produce the best results, as will frequent sharpenings.

i find that crude machine sharpened tools tend to dull more quickly.

will a wet stone work well on an axe?

what's the correct method to use with one? should it be used just like a file?

don't suppose you can get one from the usual diy store can you? there's a lack of old fashioned ironmonger-type stores near me.

we need an old-timer who knows how to do it

Sponsored Links
shears, edging shears can be sharpen by draw filing
the axe use a 4&1/2 inch grinder with a sanding disc 80 grit or 120 grit.

You can get the majority of the edge with an angle grinder, then finish off with a belt sander. Sharpened an old pair of garden shears for the father in law a few weeks ago and they were truely lethal. Was a bit worried he was gonna mame himself!
Just for info, if anyone wants to get a perfect edge to a knife (pocket knife), get yourself a lansky sharpening kit. They work really well.

i use a grinder on large axes to get an edge then finish with a wet stone. very easy once you get the hang of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back