best way to bring power in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've had a rear extension put in (well knocked down walls and rebuilt. I had planned to use the existing lighting circuit until we discovered it actually spurred off the sockets for the room in a concealed junction box.

As a result there are very limited routes I can take to insert a new wiring circuit. The only access to the back wall is through the bathroom flooring which was recently tiled.

Are there other options I've not considered?

Someone said you could put another fusebox on the socket circuit as it appears to be connected on a single circuit to the house fuseboard.

Another said run the new cable up through the cavity into the loft and use the existing lighting circuit.

And finally metal external trunking could be run down the outside wall from the loft to prevent it being in the cavity which is not good.

Sponsored Links
I've had a rear extension put in (well knocked down walls and rebuilt. I had planned to use the existing lighting circuit until we discovered it actually spurred off the sockets for the room in a concealed junction box.
How much in the way of lighting do you need? If, as I suspect may be the case, the lighting requirement for the room is very modest, and given your access problems for new wiring, you might consider staying with roughly what you have, with a proper fused spur (probably with a 3A fuse) off the sockets circuit. Some may moan (perhaps even suggesting that this could be non-compliant with regulations) that this means that a fault on your sockets circuit would take out the lighting - but, if the alternatives are too difficult to engineer, it might be a pragmatic solution.

I suspect that some may disagree :)

Kind Regards, John

Are there other options I've not considered?
Very likely, as there is nearly always a way around things, but without knowing exactly what you have would be difficult to say for sure.
Someone said you could put another fusebox on the socket circuit as it appears to be connected on a single circuit to the house fuseboard.
I would not consider this as a good option, but you could certainly put a fuse connection unit to the socket circuit and down fuse for the lights, and buried cable will likely require RCD protection if not already provided on the socket circuit you are taking the fuse spur from, so an RCD fused spur could be used.
Another said run the new cable up through the cavity into the loft and use the existing lighting circuit.
Through the cavity, is a no no sorry, in my book.
And finally metal external trunking could be run down the outside wall from the loft to prevent it being in the cavity which is not good.
Again this could be done, does not require to be in metal trunking, you could use SWA if the cable will be routed in an area that mechanical damage is possible, or if mechanical damages is unlikely a cable that is suitable for external environment like Hi-Tuff or even use plastic conduit to contain twin and earth cable, but I would try to avoid routing the cable externally.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the input. Building control and the sparky would have to sign off on any solution. I'm trying to think of solutions in the mean time.

I didn't think cavity was good.

One odd solution would be to go under bath with extension off ring main. He can access this area and adjacent circuit. I was told under the bath with a panel requiring a tool to remove is not in a zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back