Best way to insulate single skin wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
what was previously an outside porch for keeping bins,etc was converted my previous owners to a cloakroom toilet. A front door and single skin wall were built across the opening of the porch to form the cloakroom toilet.
We recently fitted a new UPVC front door and wish to get rid of the original secondary front door which sepeartes the cloakroom toilet from the rest of the house, however it is not insulated and two of the walls are single skin, the other wall joins the garage.
Basically I need to insulate about 9" worth of single brickwork as thinly as possible, as when I remove the old door frame the difference between original wall line and new single brick wall is very small, so I want to insulate a little, then feather back with plaster to match original wall line.
Secondly I want to insulate the two outside wall sof the cloakroom toilet, again using as thin insualtion as possible really as I can't afford to bring the walls in too much.
Also don't want to bash the wall about too much as it will likely disturb it!! We;ve already had to rebuild a pier when fitting the front door as the shoddy brickwork wasn't tied in to rest of house!!
I was thinking along the lines insulated foilback platerboards, but don't know much about these?
Otherwise, maybe battening off about an inch, fill cavity, then platerboard over top. Possibly using batts or fibrelass?
Can anyone offer advice on what would be best method giving best insulation.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back