beyond irritating, can't let this lie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased this scotia to fit around the gap of the newly fitted laminate:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Primed-White-Scotia-Moulding-18-x-18-x-2400mm/p/121200

I get to a concave curve shaped (bay window) part of the room, but it's too difficult to bend.

I go looking for 18x18mm scotia in bendable mdf but the only ones wickes do is this:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-White-Flooring-Trim-2m/p/140504

WHICH IS 15MM, AND THEY DONT SELL A 18mm.

Futhermore:

1) no other stores that I can find do an mdf scotia 18x18mm

2) the use of two different terms to describe the same thing, one minute it's called a scotia, the next minute a ''flooring trim''

It annoys me because it makes me feel as though I misplanned the job, and I don't want to attempt a 15mm to 18mm joint, because it's, well, a bodge, and I hate bodging jobs I spend time doing.

Using heat to bend the 18mm x 18mm pine version above is a lot of messing about, and will likely put me in an even worse mood when it doesn't work. Such a petty thing to get p1ssed off about but it's done me right in.

Rant over

Sponsored Links
Is there any way you can soak it for a while then bend it into the required shape in a former or around blocks until it dries into shape?

Soak it in the bath perhaps. I don't see it working though, do you? Ever done it?

I've known people steam mouldings in a length of plastic waste pipe. Kettle or steamer at one end. The heat and moisture softens it. A wallpaper steamer might be just the thing to feed it.

Sponsored Links
get yourself a sheet of ply or an area to create the bend mark the shape of the bay on to it and start bending graduly wipe the back with a damp cloth after each bend and leave for a few hour and so on
its how i done the skirting and plasterboard to this

Attachments

• DSC_0478.JPG
    DSC_0478.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0301.JPG
    DSC_0301.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 89
Soak it in the bath perhaps. I don't see it working though, do you? Ever done it?

I did it to a short length of 6" skirting once, for an external corner, but had to put a number of close saw cuts through the inner face, (the side against the wall), first and then braced across the hallway for two days until it dried. Then had to use filler along the top edge to cover the saw cuts. After it was sanded and painted it looked perfect. Time and patience is the key.

Connys told you how to do it numerous fine saw kerfs many of them very close spaced it will flex then.

get yourself a sheet of ply or an area to create the bend mark the shape of the bay on to it and start bending graduly wipe the back with a damp cloth after each bend and leave for a few hour and so on
its how i done the skirting and plasterboard to this

Very impressive bob, nice and tidy!

Got the info and learnt a lot from the comments here. Didn't even know what a kerf cut was. Anyway, reason I posted this was because the job got to me and I got a bit emotional about it lol. If the issue arises again I'll have a few different options at my disposal. Thanks everyone

If you are bending into a concave you may not need to space the cuts so close together. I was going convex around a tight corner.
Unfortunately I can't find the pictures I took and I no longer live at that property.

Sponsored Links
Back