Bi-Fold Doors ... Handle marks frame when opened

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice here before I call the window company and make a fool of myself :D

I have just had a set of 4 panel bifolds installed which all fold to the same side. When the doors are opened the chrome interior handle bangs up against the frame of the panel next to it. This prevents the doors folding flush but worse has actually marked the frame. This is 3 days after they have been installed. I currently have a rather fetching tea towel wrapped round the handle to prevent this.

This cant be right can it? Surely the handle should have some mechanism that means it folds flush to the frame? The other panels have 'D handles' which do this but as this is the end panel it has a more conventional chrome handle.

Any advice as always much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
It has a standard lever lever handle as it is your traffic door and has to operate the lock, most bi fold will have the same problem if you have a main door. We fitted a 5 pane with the same problem, we fixed rubber doorstops to the opposite door

Im sure I was told by the sales rep (no surprises there!) that all handles would fold flush. It seems bizarre to me that they would sell a product that effectively damages itself every time you use it. At the very least there should be some kind of door stop (as you alluded to) or maybe a rubber strip on the handle to prevent it marking the frame.

Sponsored Links
Normally there's either a clip or magnetic function, either way will stop the traffic door hitting the frame or glass, it also keeps the main door pinned open.
The magnets we use, simple and effective. The clip function we used to use
See pics

Hi
Not sure which system you are using. Normally a 4 panel all one way does not have lever lever handles fitted as no swing door. However companies such as Eurocell (Aspect in UPVC) and SAS in timber and Ali. end up fitting a lever lever handle arrangement as they cannot secure the door otherwise. We do two magnetic door holders (60mm & 26mm) specifically for bi-folds and supply 1000,s to the bi-fold door industry. If you want some details just let me know how i can send the info to you. Our website does not mention the door holders yet but does have our contact details for help and advise. search debar bi-fold hardware for the site
Regards
Graham

I would have thought in those circumstances a handle that sits flush like the newish car doors and you pull them out to open would be a better design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back