Biasi 28s fan fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Firstly i'd like to thank all the regular posters on this forum. The information you have given over the years has been a big help to amateurs like myself who often find themselves in a situation which we could fix quickly with the right guidance.

In the past I've usually found some info on existing posts but I'm struggling today so i've finally got myself registered.

If someone could point me in the right direction, id be very grateful.

I have a Biasi 28s combi boiler & It's about 7 years old. Last week I had it serviced and it was fine until a couple of days later when it began making loud whirring/screeching noises when heating. I put up with it for a couple of days. Yesterday I called my usual gas engineer and he said it sounds like its the fan and possibly the bearings within it. He said it isn't dangerous to use as the boiler won't function if the fan was to stop working all together. Approximately 2 hours later my boiler won't work and I don't have heat or hot water. It makes no attempt to fire up at all. I have a baby in the house so it may cause problems until the engineer can get to me in a few days.

My questions are: Does it sound like a fan fault and if so, is the replacement of the fan a task where you need to be gas safe to carry out? It would solve many problems if I could do it myself today.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Sponsored Links
It does indeed sound like the fan has had it, and as the fan is within the combustion chamber is a job for a gas safe person should do.

Thank you for the quick reply.

That's all I need to know. I'll just have to hound the engineer to get here ASAP.

Thanks again.

Use the young baby excuse with you gas man.
I always give max priority to the elderly and those with or shortly expecting babies and will do my upmost to attend and repair same day

Sponsored Links
The elderly are vulnerable to lack of heating.

Babies however have a very good temperature control system and are fine. Cavemen never had central heating yet their babies survived !

Regardless, I endeavour to repair any boiler the same day!

That includes at the weekend if the customer does not mind paying the £10 extra weekend supplement.

I dont understand how some engineers get away with making anyone wait days for a visit. I have this vision that they are in the pub by 6.30 pm !

Tony Glazier

I'd always make the elderly my priority. It's difficult without heat and hot water but we have family close by. Some elderly people don't have anybody to turn to or are too stubborn to ask for help (like my grandmother).

I always use the same engineer as I trust him but may have to start looking around as I usually have to wait ages.

Update on problem.

Boiled the kettle to do the washing up and turned the tap on and the hot water came on. Went to the boiler and now the C.H. is working again and fan sounds to be running normally. I'm confused. I'm not so naive as to think the problem has righted itself but it was making a racket all week. Wonder if it was overheating and needed to cool off? Guessing here. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

The problem with the fan is that it has to work in a very hot environment and the bearings lose their lubrication and the sealed for life means the life is reduced.

The 28S was only made until about 2002 so your boiler is likely to have been working for 8-9 years. The last four digits of the serial number are the date!

The 28S needs a flue restrictor when the flue just going out through the wall. It can be clearly seen when the fan is changed. Make sure its checked when the fan is changed otherwise the fans have a reduced life span.

Tony

Hopefully it will last until we can get it changed. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back