Big pendant lights onto a decorative ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

My wife has bought some large - very large - pendant lights. They weigh over 5kg each and I'm looking for advice on how to approach the problems they've presented.

Presently there are two decorative ceiling roses. I can't see any screws, so think they are attached to the ceiling by plaster or glue. The ceiling above is airtex. The house as a whole is lath and plaster but I'm unsure if this ceiling is, as the previous owners may have done some work.

The lights come complete with their own (non-decorative) plastic roses, which are set up to support the lights with three supporting wires. I'm guessing I should aim to screw these into the ceiling joists to make things super strong.

However, given the decorative ceing roses, it isn't possible to screw directly into the ceiling - only into the decorative roses themselves. In the middle of the roses, which are convex, there is a gap of about 2-3cm between it and the ceiling. That makes it nearly impossible to screw into the ceiling - I wouldn't know what I was screwing into - joist or nothing else.

Is there any way to attach the pendant lights without removing the decorative roses, which would be a messy job. I'm presuming attaching directly to the decorative roses wouldn't be string enough?

Grateful for any thoughts.

16700797250534509517924260477953.jpg
16700797636563584908289048935833.jpg
16700798239253032630381955840305.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you remove the existing pendant ,you should be able to establish if it is screwed to a joist ,and how you can secure your new fitting. Failing that it's lifting flooring above ,assuming you have access.

IMG20221203141916.jpg
thanks, terryplumb. The existing pendant isn't even screwed on (previous owners did a lot of funny things). There is a metal hook screwed into the ceiling, and the wire from the existing pendant disappears behind that.

Remove the two screw's that hold the bracket ,and establish if they are into solid timber. If they are the screw's would be indicative of the line of the joist

Sponsored Links
Will do, though I'm not sure it's possible given the small opening of the rose.

If it is the joist, would you Suggest screwing through the rose into the joist?

Yes, drill pilot holes through the decorative rose ( is it plaster ?)and screw through into joist ,don't overtighten the screw's.
What's not possible by the way ??

Yeah think it is plaster. Thanks for advice!

That hook will be screwed to something solid. It probably held a heavy light in the past.
Find a way to suspend your new light from that, or remove the hook and have a prod around to determine if there’s a substantial bit of wood up there.
Better, access the ceiling space from above and miss out the guesswork!

I found to lift the lights and wire in far from easy, so I used one of these 1670232572968.png it allowed me to do all the wiring then lift up the chandelier and plug in. 20220415_000328_1.jpg but they are rated at 5 kg, so over that weight would need some other ways to attach as well. With no weight however while I wired up the light and screwed in the ceiling rose I was able to ensure the rose was firmly attached to a beam.

My problem is a very large room with only one light point, even with the old 100 watt light bulbs I don't think the lighting would have been enough, so with LED bulbs only real way is multi-bulbs to get the extra light required.

Interesting, thank you. I'm going to hang a 5kg weight on there to see if it holds.

The 5kg is the static weight.

Do not overlook the possibility of dynamic loading if the ceiling is affected by people bouncing / jumping on the floor above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back