BIOS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I switch on my computer, I get the option of booting with XP Pro or booting with XP home. I would like to automatically select one of these so it just boots up normally.

Is this the BIOS I have to adjust somehow? I did have a look but as I don't really understand it I'd thought I'd ask on here first. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
No, the selection is in a file called boot.ini which is a hidden file on the systemroot directory usually c:\

This file will contain something like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

To change the default OS that loads, change the default= to match the desired OS, if you want it to boot straight away to this OS without any selection prompt, set the timeout to zero.

CARE. DO NOT change any of the multi(0)disk(0) etc statements or your machine won't boot. You'll need admin priviledges to change this, and you may need to remove the read only, system, and hidden attributes. This can be achieved from the command prompt.

type

c:
cd \
attrib -r -a -s -h boot.ini

c:\notepad c:\boot.ini

make the appropriate changes, and save the file. Exit notepad.

back in the command prompt type

attrib +r +a +s +h boot.ini

exit.

Good luck, exercise care!!

Sponsored Links
Thank you very very very much to both of you. It is sorted now! :D

Back