Blanking plate on old two way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just moved a wardrobe and found a light switch behind it .. I would like to fit a blanking plate over this but am unsure how to wire everything up ... the newly found switch has two cables running into it with wires as follows:

cable 1 - black and red wires attached to termination block, earth wire connected to the metal back box

cable 2 - red, blue and yellow - these three were connected to the old switch, but being new to this stuff I stupidly disconnected them before recording how and where, earth wire as above

To reiterate this switch was not being used

The switch that is in use and will continue to be used has only one cable running into it, the wires here are currently connected to a dimmer switch as follows, red to L in and blue to L out, there is also a yellow wire that is curled back on itself and not connected to anything (does this need to be connected to a term. block or have insulation tape over the end) and an earth wire that is also curled back on itself and not connected to anything but does have insulation tape over the end (this switch has a plastic back box). This dimmer switch will be replaced with a normal one way switch.

Any guidance would be great

Sponsored Links
If the wires in this redundant switch are not connected to each other, there's no need to join them up to anything, except put each wire in a terminal block to keep them safe.

Of course, you need to isolate safely before doing this.

Is this your property or rented?

Just with you saying you moved a wardrobe, I would have expected that if it was your property and therefore your wardrobe, you would have known there was a switch there already. Unless previous owners left a wardrobe, or it was a fitted wardrobe maybe.

Sponsored Links
Thought you didn't know where the wires had originally been? ;)

If you want to remove it and put a blanking plate there all you need to do is to join whichever ones are connected together via the switch and keep separate those which are not.

Thought you didn't know where the wires had originally been? ;)

If you want to remove it and put a blanking plate there all you need to do is to join whichever ones are connected together via the switch and keep separate those which are not.

I didn't make a note when I undid the switch and the yellow wire threw me , but after much comparison to diy websites worked out that it could only be one combination and bingo, lights are back ... was still stumped by the blanking plate though, but now will do as you suggest and hopefully all will be well

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back