Bleeding sealed system probs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I`ve read through your forums and got info how to bleed sealed system.
I been doing it for a few weeks now but the air is never ending. water and air come out at the same time. I bleed from down to upstairs as told.
It used to be worse when flushing the loo and when washing machine is on. Now it`s practically any open tap is running. The pipes are squeeling and it`s getting very annoying now.
I have a worcester combi only 2 years old. The bathroom rad is rusting on the bottom and my room rad gets hot on top but colder on the bottom.
I have 3 leaky taps, can that cause the problem?
Thanks,
S`bow

Sponsored Links
I think you are saying that you have noise in your pipes when running water?
Air in your sealed system shouldn't be linked to this, however if you have lots of air in your sealed system then this could be indicative of another problem, I'm sure one of the hetaing guys can advise you on fault finding/fixing.

As for the noise, where does it seem to originate from? If you are on a mians-fed system - first step is to run your cold kitchen tap at about half of its full flow, then open and close your internal stopcock a few times. This will free any debris that may be caught in the jumper mechanism.

If this doesn't clear it then it may be the jumper/stopcock itself that is causing the problem (amongst other things).

Just to summarise, from your first post I can gather:

1) You have a lot of air in your central heating system - is this something that you have to keep filling up? - may indicate a leak on the heating system.

2)You have a squealing noise when running water?

3) You have leaking taps?

4) You have a rusty rad?

5) You have a rad that doesn't heat up at the top?

BoxBasher is correct. Squealing taps should not have anything to do with air in your radiators.

From the sound of it your system is badly corroded, as born out by the rad only getting hot at the top. This is indicative of sludge problems, which if they are bad could point to what you think is air in the rads actually being Hydrogen gas, a by-product of the corrosion process.

I would recommend a complete and thorough powerflush to start with and as an easy first attempt to cure the squealing taps, change the tap washers ;)

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
as an easy first attempt to cure the squealing taps, change the tap washers ;)

Would they really all be squealing though? Most likely to be something common to all of them...

BoxBasher said:
gas4you said:
as an easy first attempt to cure the squealing taps, change the tap washers ;)

Would they really all be squealing though? Most likely to be something common to all of them...

I agree, but thought this is an easy task for op and will eliminate the really simple and obvious ;)

gas4you said:
I agree, but thought this is an easy task for op and will eliminate the really simple and obvious ;)

Yes but:

StrongBow103 said:
It used to be worse when flushing the loo and when washing machine is on. Now it`s practically any open tap is running. The pipes are squeeling and it`s getting very annoying now
Not taps specifically, toilet and washing machine too...

so:

I said:
first step is to run your cold kitchen tap at about half of its full flow, then open and close your internal stopcock a few times. This will free any debris that may be caught in the jumper mechanism

This is an even easier first step - don't even need a spanner...

I would wonder if his overactive bleeding is not creating much of the problem by bring new oxygen into the system!

My advice would be to stop bleeding it!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back