blistering kitchen paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I completely re-did my kitchen this time last year, and it included re-painting all walls and ceilings. The kitchen is quite small, with a single large-ish velux above the gas hob & oven (fitted kitchen). In the last 3 months though the paint applied to the ceiling in particular is blistering and cracks have appeared, suggesting that the paint is no longer adhering to the surface. If you apply a scraper to these blisters the paint will come off, I am sure. Prior to painting, we prepared the ceiling very thoroughly (we thought) including skimming bits of finishing plaster over uneven surfaces to try and ensure smooth finish. After this we sealed the plaster with PVA/water mix and let it dry thoroughly before painiting. What can I do to remedy the problem? And is it caused by improper preparation of the surface to be painted (if so what is the correct preparation?) or is it more likely to be due to the small kicthen size and propagation of steam and condensation from cooking? (we try to keep velux open slightly when working on the hob)?

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to suspect it is caused by inadequate ventilation/"propagation of steam and condensation from cooking" rather than the preparation. May also have something to do with the paint used. Silk is generally okay for kitchens, but can be unsuitable where there is inadequate ventilation. In some cases, it is even better to use an industrial anti-condensation paint rather than the standard kitchen & bathroom stuff, although then colour choice is extremely limited of course.

What type of plaster is your ceiling made of? If your house is old it might be lime based plaster. If so, the steam may be causing the lime to become live and react with the paint. I had the same problem a few years ago. All of my ceilings are made of lime plaster, except for an extension, which includes a bathroom (gypsum plaster). I've painted them all with vinyl emulsion. The kitchen & adjacent dining room ceilings have flaked, worst near the kitchen and above the dining table. However, the bathroom ceiling (gypsum) which isn't that well ventilated hasn't flaked nor have the lime ceilings elsewhere. I was advised, in response to an email sent to International Paints (who make it) to paint the offending ceilings first with stabilising solution, normally used on concrete to neutralise the lime. I'm dubious about using diluted PVA first, after all isn't vinyl emulsion PVA with dye added and if that's flaked....? But I'm no expert, so I could be wrong there. I haven't got around to repainting the ceilings yet, so can't promise anything. If your ceilings aren't lime based, my reply won't help much. My concern is that having scraped off the flaky bits, how to scrape off the remaining paint that hasn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back