Blocked Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bath won't drain water - so I cleared the trap. Yuk - the gunk that came out was foul, I put the trap back (plastic U-bend) but the bath still won't drain. The bathroom basin and the toilet are OK so what should I do next - is it a job for my friendly plumber? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Yeah it stinks worse than a sewer, but try an uotside gulley sometime. I mean don't.. Plunger may work. If you get a tiny bit of flow pour boiling water down the plug - cheap and quick and usually gets things moving. A drain spring will work - insert afterr the trap.
Is there anough fall on the pipework? Needs to be 1 in 40.

Hair is the usual blocker in a bath. Drani cleaning chemicals like sulphuric acid will dissolve all that, and you as well. Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide, NaOH) is not so good That's like Mr Muscle. For heavens sake never mix drain chemicals

Sponsored Links
I tried the Mr Muscle stuff but it didn't sink through the water as it said it should on the bottle. So I called the plumber - he is a friend too but I don't like taking advantage so I don't call him until I have at least tried to do it myself. Independent lady you see!!

He plungered it for me and hey presto I am now the proud owner of freely draining bath. The funny thing is that the bathroom is being replaced in about 3 weeks and in the last two weeks the shower has gone wrong and the bath blocked. Its almost like they know what is going to happen and they are sulking!!

Having seen what it took for him to use the plunger on the bath I don't think I would have been able to do it - I have arthritis in my hands and would be more likely to do some damage than actually fix anything.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll ask your advice again when I don't want to impose on the neighbours!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back