Blocked bathroom sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom sink is blocked. I have tried everything from boiling water, bleach, Mr Muscle to Harpic blast. I have taken the u-bend apart and pushed thick wire down the pipes and it goes down with no problem. I don't want to have to pay out for a plumber if it is something simple. Can anyone help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you tried partially filling the sink with water without fitting the plug, then use a plunger. This should push the water down and hopefully remove the blockage. If the bath drains away OK the blockage can't be too far from the sink because they will probablely join together.You can get drain wires various lengths with turning handle on one end. You can also get curtain wire by the metre.
If the soil pipe was blocked then bath and toilet would also be affected.
Are you sure the trap and/or U bend is clear.
Can't think of anything else.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mandate is right - mostly. I would always try a plunger first. Chemical cleaners can only work if you can get them directly onto the blockage. In your case the blockage must be out of reach of your wire so the chemicals were, quite literally, water down the drain. I've never failed to unblock a sink or toilet with a simple plunger. Fill the sink just like Mandate said then BLOCK THE OVERFLOW. You can use a wet rag for this. Work the plunger up and down over the plug hole and your blockage will clear - UNLESS there is another drain on the same pipe and upstream of the blockage. You will know about this because it will be blocked also. To clear a blockage on a shared pipe you have to stop up all the other plug holes and overflows. I would use the plunger on the plug hole furthest downstream. This gets you closer to the blockage and the mass of water upstream is in your favour.

PS: When you buy a plunger look for one with a long handle. You CAN unblock toilets with a short plunger but you'll want a bucket of clean water nearby to rinse off your arm afterwards!

I've never failed to unblock a sink or toilet with a simple plunger

You haven't LIVED!

You can buy things like big syringes which give you a lot more chance. You fill them with water so you have a lot more shifting ability. Try Wickes or a plumbers' merchant. About £10.

Sponsored Links
go to your local pub and find tradesman corner,you will recognise them as they are always flush with cash,have beer bellies,wives have brand new mercs.and are always going on holidays.2 lady plumbers in my local but they are a couple,we nicknamed them the. u benders.

oh sink prob.get one shot chemical cleaner.from proper plumbing merchants.READ instructions carefully and when adding to sink be ready to run very fast out of room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back