Blocked downpipe and penetrating damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear members,
First post here. I will be reading up as much as I can about possible solutions, but meanwhile, I wanted to leave a question in case someone could be of some help.

We have just moved into a new home. The back wall is showing signs of damp which I would like to fix asap. A couple of weekends ago it rained very hard, and I noticed a lot of water pouring out of the joints of the downpipe on the other side of the wall where it is damp. Water was running down the wall and the rendering is particularly damp and flaking behind this faulty pipe. I am assuming that the damp is therefore being caused by the pipe rather than rising damp, however, the wall's damage is most intense at the floor. I think the first thing to try is to remedy the faulty pipe before considering repairing the damp.

Attached to the pipe is a water butt. I removed this to have a look around. The guttering below the pipe was reasonably clear but had a pool of water in, I wasn't sure if this was normal. I was able to push a hose pipe up through the bottom of the downpipe as far as the water diverter, so I assume there is no blockage up to this point. I am now not so sure of what to try. Get a ladder and check the top of the drain? Or, separating the downpipe at the diverter to see if it is blocked here? Or maybe just call a guy to come round, since I don't know if the drainage below this downpipe is also blocked.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Start at the top.

Check the running outlet isn't blocked, eg tennis ball from the little darlings next door is a possibility.

Is there a swan neck(offset bends) from the gutter to downpipe? This is another favourite trap.

If these are clear then work down until the blockage is found.

Start at the top.

Check the running outlet isn't blocked, eg tennis ball from the little darlings next door is a possibility.

Is there a swan neck(offset bends) from the gutter to downpipe? This is another favourite trap.

If these are clear then work down until the blockage is found.

Thanks, Taz. Ok, then a long ladder will be my next purchase.

I should maybe add that there is a swan neck at the top. The joint below this is where a lot of water was pouring out from, so I am guessing that water is making it's way into the downpipe. These pipes are also the cast iron sort.

I will start from the top as you say. Should I be poking rods down the pipe if there is a water diverter attached? Does the diverter catch all debris and then become blocked too? I have not checked as yet if the diverter has been cemented to the iron pipes. I wouldn't want to pull things apart and then find that I needed to have replacement parts at hand.

Thanks again.

You could try a pipe bending spring(or similar) if the outlet/downpipe are blocked.

The water could be running down the outside of the pipe which may not be visible from the ground until it hits the joint/union on the pipe.

Sponsored Links
You could try a pipe bending spring(or similar) if the outlet/downpipe are blocked.

The water could be running down the outside of the pipe which may not be visible from the ground until it hits the joint/union on the pipe.

Even during light rain, there is a small trickle of water down the outside of the pipe. I think there is also leakage from the diverter. Sounds like you have experience in similar situations?

Once I have time this week I will give this a go. Could I confirm its ok to push debris down the pipe with a diverter attached? I have not seen the insides of these and do not know what they contain of (e.g., a mesh).

Thanks, Taz.

I don't see much of an option...........I wouldn't like to try pushing the debris up :LOL:

I don't have experience with diverters but they can't be that technical.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back