Blocked drain troubles......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every 2 months or so I have to unblock my drain @ the manhole, the waste backs upto my house from the neck of the manhole space at the sewer end then fill`s up with waist till it appears out of my grid below my window :evil:

The first time it happened I had it unblocked by a company paid for by my insurance, this included a video survey which showed a collapse between my property and the service drain out the back on council owned land (but part on my land :( ).

Anyway, the collaps isn't too bad, just part of the pipe lining on the side has fell away, but I think the main cause of the problem is a U bend like pipe fitted at the sewer end of the manhole, I have done alittle diagram :cool:

drain.jpg

What is the proper name for this type of U bend thing?? what does it do? I cant really see the point of it as the bit in water does not seal off the sewer from the air as the pipe that goes over the top of it is open? Is this part essential? As far as I can see that U bend is the cause of my troubles.

In time I will get the collapsed part fixed but I think I will ask for that U bend thing to be removed at the same time??

Any advice appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
There should be a plug in the part above the trap or U bend as you call it.
Its not uncommon to see the plug missing. A rat can soon dive through the trap but the presence of a plug does tend to prevent the less determined vermin getting about too much.
I would say that the bits that are flaking off your drain are getting caught in the trap and causing blockages. Normally this would not be the case and trap with the plug in place is allowed to serve its purpose; which is to prevent odours getting through

I have a 1940`s house with a similar trap it has blocked twice with what appears to be hardened detergents closing the trap off. We now clean it once a year & no more trouble.
JonB

for the life of me, i cannot understand why builders used to install interceptor traps in drains. they cause nothing but grief.

we always advise customers to dig them out and repair the run with a straight piece of pipe.

Sponsored Links
Building regs, Noseall.........there, I`ve saved your life ;) others include .......soilpipes inside only/now outside is OK..................bedroom ceiling height causing gross "dormers" over ridge lines......now ceilings can be lower..........discharge from waste pipe 18inches from a gulley via a channel .........now pipe must be under the grid .....etc. etc. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back