Blocked Pipe - could it be related to cavity wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bath wont drain. So far plunging/ heating/ chemical removers have all failed to work at all.

The problem started at the beginning of the week however at that point chemical unblockers cleared the problem however it returned yesterday - just after I had had the cavity wall insulation done. This time as stated all attempts to clear have been unsuccessful - could the two be connected?

Is it possible the first blockage damaged the pipe and the insulation got in? If so what can be done?

Sponsored Links
Very doubtful that the cavity insulation has done the damage as it is just fibres blown into the wall. Most likely the waste pipe has frozen outside because of the severe weather. If bath is empty pour some boiling water down it and pour some boiling water on outside drain pipe. It will eventually thaw but this will help in the meantime.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, but the boiling water hasn't touched it. The outside pipe isnt easily accessible as I live in a flat but I spent about 40mins yesterday running boiling water down the kitchen sink that feeds into the same main pipe from above in a vain attempt to heat the pipe from the other side.

The boiling water in the bathroom pipe makes it as far as the wall but eventually just feeds back up into the bath.

I thought if it was ice the chemical cleaners would have dissolved it?

Part of the reason I thought it may have to do with the insulation is that when they left, water had appeared in the bath that would suggest something forced it up there - clutching at straws...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back