Blocking cavity walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a new house and have rats in my loft :cry:
I was thinking I could go into the loft and block up the whole perimeter where the eves meet the wall, and block up all the open cavity. Is there any problem in doing this? I just wasn't sure if there might be any ventilation issues?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I recently moved into a new house and have rats in my loft :cry:
I was thinking I could go into the loft and block up the whole perimeter where the eves meet the wall, and block up all the open cavity. Is there any problem in doing this? I just wasn't sure if there might be any ventilation issues?
Thanks
Yes you'll get condensation in the loft.. get a cat..

Static may be slightly confused s to what you are intending to block up (as am I tbh) are you talking about blocking the gap at the top of the cavity walls between the inner and outer skins of masonry? Or are you talking about blocking up the gap between the top of the wall and the underside of the roof?

Sponsored Links
Both! I'm not completely sure where they're getting in so I was going to cover both options!

Will you be happy knowing that the rats can no longer get into the loft BUT there are still rats in the walls? I think you need to concentrate on where they are getting into the walls to begin with and block that instead. As to how you find that entry I do not know, perhaps hire a professional. Or catch one of the little fellas and make him squeal or make him rat :LOL:

I've inspected the whole building and have blocked every hole I can find but somehow the little sods are still getting in! I don't think its up the cavity they are coming in, but was going to block it in case. I'm going to get the cavities filled anyway so guess that bit doesn't matter.
Is it wise to block the bit where the roof meets the walls?

Is it wise to block the bit where the roof meets the walls?

If you block the bit where the roof meets the inner or outer wall, you will be blocking the eaves. That is how I read it and that is not good. This will lead to poor ventilation in your loft unless you ventilate in other ways.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back