Blockwork corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok for corners on blockwork not to fully overlap? Its hard to explain and I don't have a picture ready but what the brickie has done is every second block on corner are fully joined up - blocks on one wall goes to the edge of the wall and the block on the perpendicular wall is fully butted against it with. Kind of what I expected.
On the blocks in between though he just left gaps to the edge and filled them with generous amount of mortar - rather than cutting small blocks to make up full corner. This is on internal part of cavity so it won't be visible but I am concerned whether it affects structure or if building controll will pick it up and make us take it down. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
He's codged it to save him working out the bond properly or putting a cut in the middle of the wall

Putting in a split block on the corner won't make any difference and the corner will be just as weak

It probably wont make any difference to a standard corner, unless you have got some close point loading or suchlike. However if he is to continue building the corner like this, tell him to put some expanded metal or a couple of ties across it in the bed joint

He's already finished building internal wall so not sure what the best thing to do now its al done?

Sponsored Links
Is the finished thing going to be good enough though to carry the roof though?

Not sure if this is meant by point loading but there will be a 3.2m door lintel right on top of it.
Also, this whole section of the corner wall with lintel on top is only 0.665m wide to the opening.

Your description of corner makes no sense. :D
If you want to know how a block work corner should be bonded, go to U Tube and type in Building Block -work Corner. Will show you correct bond.
oldun

Your description of corner makes no sense. :D
If you want to know how a block work corner should be bonded, go to U Tube and type in Building Block -work Corner. Will show you correct bond.
oldun
Glad it's not just me that's confused oldun :rolleyes:

The first full block at the corner has been moved in slightly so that it no longer goes right to the corner.

We've all done it

As Woody says. It is when the corner return is such a size that it requires something about 45mm bigger than a standard 440mm block.

Either you stretch the block or pile in the muck!

Fair point Stuart, it was a long day ;)
Anyway, the conclusion of the story is - building inspector popped round the next day, said the builder hasn't bonded corners correctly, failed them on structural and thermal and a few days later they were re-done. Different brickie though. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back