Bloody British Gas and Conflicting Info

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, British Gas attended today to upgrade my heating system from primatic, to fully pumped (after it failed in the middle of winter, but was repaired enough to limp through)
So the guy arrives to start the work, and says I wouldn`t do this, you need a combi boiler. Well thats all well and good except the British Gas salesman said it would be to big a job to put a combi in when he replaced our back boiler for the cost of 2.7k less than 3 years ago.
So the job stops we await the gas "advisor" (hopefully not the same one as sold me the back boiler ) to arrive and quote for the fitting of a combi.
The fitter that turned up today said its relatively simple to put a combi in, put it in the airing cupboard upstairs, were all the feeds are already in place, except the gas, and vent through the roof.
I appreciate the guys honesty, but will the extra investment (totally unexpected in a combi boiler) be worth the outlay, or am I throwing good money after bad, if I keep the new(old) back boiler which is not 3 years old, incidently.....if we do decide to go the combi route, I doubt British Gas will be getting the job :evil:
Any recommendations on fitters in the Bolton area ???

Sponsored Links
Just as a footnote the quote is 1,499 quid to upgrade to fully pumped which includes new tank, power flush etc etc..apparently the price of a powerflush (about 500 quid) is built in to the combi quote....the guy said "free" but some how that dont quite add up...........also gas man says my heat exchanger will probably need replacing on the current boiler as he has never successfully powerflushed one clean in view of the intense kettling we are getting, but he says he can arrange a "heat exchanger credit note for this" if we go the combi route, worth about 300 quid.
....ho hum..decisions..decisions...........

I would stay with the back boiler+ fire front.

I would also look at the possibilty of coverting the system to fully pumped once HW zone has been decided upon.

I would opt for UVHW cylinder. Setup will knock the pants off combi setup.

To go combi route expect valves etc to pass.

Where are you located?

What absolute crap, just replace existing cylinder with indirect model, add on feed expansion tank, leave HW on gravity and fit it all to part L by fitting Honeywell Cplan.
Flush system as normal with such as Sentinel X400 then finish off with X100 inhibitor and X200 descaler to sort out kettling,very worst case scenario would be a new heat exchanger for the boiler, non of this will cost what BG will want charge for a combi, plus the combi wont last as long as your baxi.

http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/Catalogue/Sundial Plans/3.1 C Plan.pdf

Sponsored Links
PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
What absolute rubbish, just replace existing cylinder with indirect model, add on feed expansion tank, leave HW on gravity and fit it all to part L by fitting Honeywell Cplan.
Flush system as normal with such as Sentinel X400 then finish off with X100 inhibitor and X200 descaler to sort out kettling,very worst case scenario would be a new heat exchanger for the boiler, non of this will cost what BG will want charge for a combi, plus the combi wont last as long as your baxi.

http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/Catalogue/Sundial Plans/3.1 C Plan.pdf

C Plan is NOT Part L compliant

I cannot understand what PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN is calling absolute rubbish.

Is it my suggestion or BG quotes

I would stick with the original advice by the sound of it, to replace a 3 year old back boiler with a combi seems madness to me, just get BG to throw in a carbon monoxide detector as a freebie for your hassles

Wondered how long it would be before someone twigged the Part L bit, I know c plans dont comply, but I dont personally see why not, you get cyl stat, room stat twin channel prog, motorised valve which makes for the boiler interlock, you only need to add t/valves to the bedrooms and your away, I wouldn't rip off a customer by suggesting he scrap a 3 year old boiler and fire and replace with a combi, I was saying the idea of scrapping a 3 year old back boiler to replace with a tin can (and probably a condensing crap) combi which will probably last five years was a rubbish idea.
Oh yea to finish off I wasn't calling DP's suggestion rubbish only the BG rip off suggestions.

Never occured to me why Cplan not ok - must be the gravity HW is not efficient enough?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back