Bloomin Bathroom fan wiring!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
right here goes. I quite competent with electrics and domestic diy, but for some reason this has me a little confused. However this maybe a very simple thing, as i faulter on the simpler things as i have a habit of over-thinking things.

I have a Vortice fan which was fitted before i moved in. Never turned on, fund out the wiring is disconnected from like everywhere, even the isolator switch.

The cabling used has red, yellow, blue and earth, now to me this is suspect.

The isolator has L1, L2 and N

The fan has L, N, Timer

So i'm thinkin about doin away with the earth (trimming back to cable sheath) and using Red as L1 going to L on fan, Yellow as L2 going to timer on fan and using the Blue as N

I fear this colour combination may be against regs, however is my theory sound or just pants.

I'm guessing the L1 L2 has to go L and Timer but i'm not sure which goes to which?????

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links

No, perfectly normal. That's just pre-harmonised colours for 3C+E cable, although if you were to purchase it now, you'd have brown, black and grey insulated conductors.

The isolator has L1, L2 and N

The fan has L, N, Timer

Makes sense. The isolator will disconnect the switched live (timer), permanent live and neutral conductors.

So i'm thinkin about doin away with the earth (trimming back to cable sheath) and using Red as L1 going to L on fan, Yellow as L2 going to timer on fan and using the Blue as N

I fear this colour combination may be against regs, however is my theory sound or just pants.

There is no correct colour combination, but yours seems sensible. You should sleeve the red and yellow conductors in brown to indicate that they are live.

I'm guessing the L1 L2 has to go L and Timer but i'm not sure which goes to which?????

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Again, there's no convention with a 3 pole isolator as to which poles do what, so what you propose is fine.

Be sure to test and make sure the cables haven't been disconnected for a good reason!

using Red as L1 going to L on fan, Yellow as L2 going to timer on fan and using the Blue as N

Souds quite normal for old colour cable to a timer fan.

Keep the earth connected through to the fan though, using a connector block in the isolator back box if necessary. You could cut it back at the fan itself but better to sleeve and terminate in a connector.

Sponsored Links
haha I found it suspect cos i forgot i could do away with the earth and just use the cores.

I now get it. The isolator literally isolates each circuit, being the live, switched live and neutral.

So i take the power from the bathroom light i.e red (loop live) yellow (switched live (this will go to timer)) and blue ( black loop (neutral)) all these into the isolator switch then back out to the fan red = L yellow = Timer and blue = N.

Thankyou to all and electronsuk you're a wizard

As Skenk said, use the earth in the cable throughout the circuit, terminating it at the fan for future use or testing

Keep the earth connected through to the fan though, using a connector block in the isolator back box if necessary. You could cut it back at the fan itself but better to sleeve and terminate in a connector.

good point will keep that in mind :)

haha I found it suspect cos i forgot i could do away with the earth and just use the cores.
I quite competent with electrics and domestic diy
:confused:

i'm sorry but was that meant to be constructive.

save it dude

you should never use the earth core for anything other than earth.

you never know what could happen if someone else worked on it and thought your earth cable was earth.. doesnt bare thinking about.!!!

A Bear without it's fur is bare, a fate it could barely bear .... The poor old Bear.
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back