Blown Fuses in central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potterton netaheat Boiler with a Honeywell programmer.

On Sunday the boiler decided to shut down and I noticed that the programmer screen was blank. I checked the 2a fuse inside the boiler and found that it had blown.

I checked the electrics panel alongside the water tank upstairs and found that the fuse in there had also blown. I replaced both fuses and hey presto !! it all fired up beautifully..... for about half an hour after which time both fuses blew again! Anybody got any ideas ???

Sponsored Links
Excuse ignorance, but where is the fan and the zone valve heads ?

turn off the power and check the wiring too, could be a breakdown in the insulation at some point---------> short circuit.

Sponsored Links
Revproman said:
Excuse ignorance, but where is the fan and the zone valve heads ?

The fan is in the boiler and is corgi territory, especially on a netaheat. The valve/s are probably in the airing cupbord. There may be one with 3 pipes connected and a box on top with an electric cable going in, or towo with 2 pipes. There is a motor and microswitches in the head and often water seeps out and shorts the electric and blows the fuse.

The pump and fan can create enough resistance when seizing to blow fuses as well....apart from that it will be either a leak on to electrical components or a direct short.

Cheers, I will look into it and hopefully get it back on line as plumbers are a rarity in this town and when you do get one he doesn't turn up !!!.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Maybe there aren't any, try using a cowboy, there's friggin LOADS of them around everywhere.
Very helpful...

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Maybe there aren't any, try using a cowboy, there's friggin LOADS of them around everywhere.
reiter.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back