Boarding the loft space when recessed lv lights fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just fitted recessed LV downlights into all the rooms upstairs. No probs with that but I'm now looking to board the loft space. Trouble is all the instructions that come with the lights state that air should be allowed to circulate above and around the lights and transformers. If this is the case, does that mean i can't board over the top of any of the lights...which basically means i won't be able to board 90% of the loft?

It's a modernish house (20 yrs old) with very small rafters (approx 2 inch thick) - not the big old 6 inch ones found in older properties i've lived in.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer

Sponsored Links
Melvin - No problem boarding over LV's ... where you're going to board over the lamps drill a 25 to 30mm hole or even bigger (use a hole saw) to allow the ventilation.

Why not fit some cross batterns to lift the new floor?

Id also fit some fire hoods to the lights.

I wouldnt go putting too much wieght on them modern flimsy loft joists.... unless you want to get cracked or worse collapsing cielings...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back