boiler and thermostat question

S

skuba

i've recently had a new boiler fitted but i've noticed it no longer works with the thermostat on my wall

this is the new boiler (procombi 85he)
837.jpg

and this is similar to my thermostat
honeywell-t6360b-spdt-room-761-1361m.jpg

i was planning on calling the guy back out, but i wondered if it's simple enough to cable the two up?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Most combi boilers require a volt-free connection via the room thermostat. Most room thermostats like the one pictured switch 230V.

In situations like yours, I would usually fit a battery powered volt-free programmable room thermostat to replace the existing stat and using two of the wires - if they terminated near the boiler - which they normally do not.

In those cases, the usual solution is to us a wireless programmable room thermostat which you can put anywhere you want.

However, if your installer has left you in the situation that you describe, it is unlilkely that he will come back and do anything right as this should have been sorted at the time of the install.

Or maybe he just forgot.

thanks for your reply

the situation is that we've had most of our downstairs redecorated due to the floods last year, and as part of the work they have replaced our boiler. however, they have left the redundant thermostat on the wall in the hall and the decorators have decorated around the thermostat instead of removing it or having the plumber wire it up :(

so we have a thermostat sat there doing nothing! and there's no way i'm going to start taking it off our nicely papered new wall! so the easy option is to connect it up if possible. my friend told me that it's usually an easy job, but i thought i'd come here for some advice in case he's wrong!

i'm not looking to upgrade or change my thermostat, i just want to make it work so it's not a completely useless eyesore

any advice would be appreciated

cheers

If you have the wires still connected in it and the wires are still at the boiler, or at least the wiring center if you have one, then yes you can use it, but ONLY connect it to the wiring block that says external controls in the boiler. NOT any connection that is 240VAC, unless this boiler uses switched 240VAC for the external controls.

The anticipator wont work in the room stat without mains voltage so it will be slightly less accurate, but not enough for you to notice.

If you have no wires at either end, you could replace it with a Honeywell analogue RF stat.

This should be a larger footprint than this model so should cover up the hole in the wallpaper.

Sponsored Links
That Honeywell looks like the bellows type and they are only two wire and if so then that one can be used.

It sounds as if the installer has been lazy.

If I installed a boiler for anyone, I would firstly have a working room stat as its required by the regulations and secondly I would demonstrate its operation to the client in accordance with the commissioning requirements.

Presumably he did not fill in the Benchmark or notify CORGI either?

Tony

those that reply to these posts generally know what is 'supposed' to be done.

but Agile you don't half come over as Captain Jobsworth sometimes. :)

Yes and since councils and BG don't always comply I have changed my attitude.

I now tell people what I believe and if they want to follow my better advise than the government's misguided advise they can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back