Boiler Failure.................

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please guys,

Powermax IMI boiler had stopped working..and digital room thermostat has gone dead.

I've turned electric off and on, all I get is a loud buzzing from a relay? in the control panel for thirty seconds or so, then all quiet.
I can hear a hum and a fan going inside, but its not firing.

I've checked the room thermostat, and the mains voltage has gone. :confused:

Any help appreciated, or anyone recommend an engineer in the Bedford area.

Why always on bank holidays................. :(

Sponsored Links
Which model is it?
Have you got a serial number (barcode)

Most digital room stats have their own battery power source.

Have you tried replacing its battery?

There also might be a seperate boiler fault but you can try the stat first on any day of the year.

Not every engineer is that comfortable on your model of boiler so check first before you call anyone and perhaps ask for a no fix no fee?

Tony

baxpoti said:
Which model is it?
Have you got a serial number (barcode)

It just says Powemax IMI on the front

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Agile wrote:
Most digital room stats have their own battery power source.

Have you tried replacing its battery?

There also might be a seperate boiler fault but you can try the stat first on any day of the year.

Not every engineer is that comfortable on your model of boiler so check first before you call anyone and perhaps ask for a no fix no fee?

Tony

Its a mains powered room thermostat, and the 230V has dissapeared???

MOD 2

please use the edit key ;)

Sponsored Links
You sure you can hear a fan inside and not a pump?, any lights on the clock or boiler??

Clock running and set to 24 hrs HW and CH led lights are on.
Orange power light on.
Green 'firing' light not on.

Sounds like a fan running, not a pump.

Just tried powering off again, I just get the loud buzzing fron the control box for thirty seconds or so, then it goes quiet but does not fire.

The mains powered digital thermostat is still dead, with no voltage to the terminals.

When it goes quiet is the red lockout light coming on?, if the fault lies between the fan starting and ignition check your overheat thermostat and low water pressure switch.

The buzzing is probably the spark generator
You still haven't said if the red lock out light comes on?
With the sketchy info,
probably going to be the board

There does not appear to be any lockout indication anywhere.. :confused:

Just had the bottom cover off, there are 2 pumps, one marked HEATING and the other BOILER PUMP.

The Boiler pump is running, there are no leaks to see. I was hoping to see a pressure gauge after reading the FAQ, but there is just a blue thingy with a valve cover on saying 'pressurise to 1 bar'.

Think I'm beat.....guess I'm on the phone for an engineer tomorrow.

Recommendations please guys....

You'll need to tell whoever what model it is, and ask them if they're familiar with it.
Sounds like its a 155x
Try Heateam they advertise on this forum

Thanks for the tips guys,

I managed to find a local firm who are familiar with Powermax, and he came out within an hour of calling this morning....albet at £120 per hour as its Sunday.............. :eek:

Found boiler digital timer completly shot, and had cut power to room thermostat, so as we don't actually use the timer, he bypassed it leaving hot water on 24 hrs (as we have it anyway, but still manual switchable and interlocked) and heating on/off via the programmable room thermostat.

The Powermax thingy upstairs is nothing but a storage tank with pumps and controls etc, the small Potterton boiler in the kitchen is the main unit, but he discovered the temperature knob broken after turning, so was unable to determine if it was on max.
The previous owners had a designer kitchen fitted, but never accounted for access to the boiler, so engineer suggested it might be a faulty stat, but without dismantling half the kitchen could not be sure. He said he could return next week with new parts.

He left after 2 hours, but only charged for one and a half.. :D

I've now gained access to the boiler, and stat was only on half....turned it back up, and all now runnning fine, house temp coming up nicley.

Sorted........ :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back