Boiler flow rate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I had an ageing open vented boiler replaced with a Baxi duotec 40 in preparation for a loft conversion - the installer had measured my flow rate at the outside tap at 16 litres/min, and I wanted as much flow as possible to cater for the possibility of two showers running - hence he felt the big boiler would suit, and I had the flow rate to support it (but not enough for a megaflo). The boiler is sited on the first floor in the airing cupboard.

I had separately checked the bath tap in the main bathroom on the first floor, and measured it delivering 16 l/min from the tanks in the loft, before the new installation.

After the install, I'm finding the first floor shower over the bath is definitely an improvement over the old system, but the bath flow is down to 8-12 litres a min and so much slower to fill than before. Also, when the bath taps are running I get literally a dribble out of either hot or cold tap on the first floor (though downstairs is ok).

I got the installer back in, and he checked the pressure - it was 2.1 bar at the outside tap, but using the pressure gauge on the boiler it would only fill the central heating circuit to 1.6 bar. This drop he explained was indicative that I would see a reduced flow rate, though was surprised it was so great. With only that flow of water, it would seem that two showers running would really be pushing it, and I'm concerned the 2nd floor bathroom will suffer even more.

So, my questions are:
1 - why would my pressure have dropped so much on the first floor - would I only expect ~0.3 bar drop between ground and first floor ? The pre-existing pipe routing is a bit bizarre - it goes from the ground floor via the loft and back down to the boiler in 15mm pipe - would this explain the problem?
2- would the excessive pressure drop explain the reduced flow rate to boiler and bath ?
3 - is there anything worthwhile I can do to improve it to get the full 16 l/min I have coming into the house?
4 - will I have even more problems when loft conversion on 2nd floor (in progress) - I assume the shower pressure will be down to 1.3 bar in the loft - will that be sufficient, and will the bath up there be even slower to fill?
5 - if the 40kw boiler can't get/deliver 16 l/min, have I ended up with an over-specced system that is more expensive system to buy/run? Is it reasonable that the installer wouldn't have foreseen this by doing appropriate checks (he never actually measured the pressure for example), and do I have grounds to ask him to sort this out, or is it one of those things?

Would appreciate any input and advice.

Sponsored Links
If you look back over my postings you will see that I always tell people they need to measure the dynamic pressure.

An open pipe flow rate at a garden tap is just that! It will always be less on upper floors and about half that when it has been through the resistance of a combi boiler hot water path.

I also say that any installer who quotes for a combi or unvented cylinder without measuring the flow rate is a complete nupty.

Seems your only recourse is to upgrade the mains supply at about £1000 or sue the installer for misrepresentation. Was he really gas registered as it sounds as if he has no experience of fitting boilers?

Tony

Agile, thanks for the reply. As you see from my post, he did measure the flow rate, but not the pressure. What procedure should he have followed to measure (I'll repeat it and see what I get). What number would you expect to see in order to supply 16 l/min through the boiler?

I've had a (long!) look back through yours posts, and can't find anywhere that actually explains what dynamic flow rate is, or how it is measured - if anyone can point me to a thread that would be great.

Are you saying the resistance of the heat exchanger will dominate how much flow I actually see? Would reducing the cold water pipe run up to the boiler provide any improvement (taking out the extra leg of going up to the second floor and back down would take out maybe 8 metres of pipework), or not have much impact?

Reducing the inlet pipe run will always be beneficial but the main resistance is through the boiler.

Try looking in the FAQ on this site as it may explain it. But I dont have editing rights on that part so cannot be responsible for the content.

Thats why its the dynamic flow rate which is so relevant to the performance.

Tony

Sponsored Links
No!

I mean the flow rate which is obtainable whilst still retaining a pressure in the local supply pipes, perhaps 1.0 Bar or 0.5 Bar for example.

Tony

Try looking in the FAQ on this site as it may explain it. But I dont have editing rights on that part so cannot be responsible for the content.

Thats why its the dynamic flow rate which is so relevant to the performance.

Tony

Took a look, but there's nothing in the FAQ on dynamic flow. Could you explain what procedure the installer should have used to measure this?

Thanks.

Each storey you go up the pressure will drop by approx 0.3Bar, so you would not expect to get 2.1 upstairs.

NO combi is designed to give more than one hot outlet good flow at the same time. I always tell every prospective customer this.

Any complaints about combis always are about flow rate and the installer should take the time and effort to ascertain and understand each customers hot water requirements fully.

I feel you may have been sold this incorrectly from what you asked for at the outset.

Generally not as its against the rags to suck water out of the mains.

The best solution is to upgrade the mains supply pipe ( £1000 ! ) or to install a Grunfoss Home Booster at about £1200 installed but they take up space, make a noise and need maintenance.

All of these problems because the nupty installer did not properly measure the flow rate and did not understand the requirements anyway.

Tony

Another expensive solution would be to possibly fit an accumilator.

Tony, PLEASE start spelling numpty right. It really winds me up seeing you spell it wrong every time :mad: :LOL:

Generally not as its against the rags to suck water out of the mains.

All of these problems because the nupty installer did not properly measure the flow rate and did not understand the requirements anyway.

Tony

So is anyone actually going to say what/how the installer should have measured, or is this a trade secret?

BTW, we re-measured the flow rate from the bath and get 10 l/min from hot, and 11 from cold - is the 1 litre/min diff due to the heat exchanger resistance? I get a combined flow of hot/cold out of the tap at 13 l/min. I assume if I upgrade the 15mm pipe running up to the boiler to 22 mm (without going the whole hog and redoing the mains supply), then the combined flow would improve - correct?

Each storey you go up the pressure will drop by approx 0.3Bar, so you would not expect to get 2.1 upstairs.

So I'd expect 1.8 on the first floor - how come the boiler will only refill to 1.5/6 - where that extra pressure gone? The pipe run actually goes up to the loft and back down to the boiler, but that shouldn't make a difference, right?

If the pressure in the loft is then down to 1.2/3, is that still going to be ok for a reasonable showering experience (with no other taps on)?

NO combi is designed to give more than one hot outlet good flow at the same time. I always tell every prospective customer this.

Any complaints about combis always are about flow rate and the installer should take the time and effort to ascertain and understand each customers hot water requirements fully.

I feel you may have been sold this incorrectly from what you asked for at the outset.

The installer had the same boiler installed himself, and said his system could manage two showers - he thought a typical shower would only take 6-8 l/min.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back