boiler flue........help!!! thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello and thanks to all who reply,
I have a vaillant combi boiler which is currently fitted with a 100mm flue. i'm hoping to move the boiler into a fire place which i have exposed. Assuming the chimney is inspected is it possible to run the flue into it? do i need to insert the 100mm pipe into it? any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
is that no to using the chimney as a flue full stop? is this because it uses a balanced flue? if i can insert the 100mm flue pipe in the breast is it possible then?

Sponsored Links
thanks, that link helped.

The boiler is going to be fitted upstairs and the chimney flue is straight so as long as i can secure the flue, is there any reason why i can't use the chimney flue with the boilers flue inserted? thanks.

ashm said:
thanks, that link helped.

The boiler is going to be fitted upstairs and the chimney flue is straight so as long as i can secure the flue, is there any reason why i can't use the chimney flue with the boilers flue inserted? thanks.

Firstly, I am not corgi registered so I may not be right, but common sense says to ring the manufacturer of the boiler and ask them. Then contact a few corgi engineers and see if they are willing to do it. Vaillant may not have a suitable flue, so then it will be a definite no no.

Contact Vaillant and then some corgi's, at least then you will have a definite answer. ;)

You dont need to do that!

Concentric boiler flues come in sections each usually a metre or a little less.

This type of flue has to be joined with clamp up connections and these have to remain accessible for inspection.

Whilst you could build in 300 mm square inspection hatches all the way up your chimney breast and through your loft I suppose that is unlikely to be practicable.

The other limitation is that most non condensing boiler have a maximum flue length of about 3 m in the 100 mm diameter and somewhat longer in the 125 mm or similar alternative larger size.

Many boilers have a twin 75 mm flue option which gives an even longer fluing option.

Whilst in theory something might be possible the cost and complications would not normally be considered worthwhile.

It might be possible to fit a Keston boiler as they have a different type of flue system. But would you really want to buy a new boiler?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back