Boiler Flue Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i wonder if you can help, i currently have an old Glowworm Swiftflow 80 combi boiler in my kitchen, we are in the middle of adding a utility room off the back of the kitchen, currently the boiler vents into this new room, I am now at the stage where I need to seal the room up and get the walls finished but cant because of the flue, i am having a brand new boiler fitted into this new room once it is finished, what I want to do is take the flue out and move it 90 degrees and vent it out of a window for a few weeks until I can get the room ready for the new one, does anyone know if I can get a flue extension for this boiler? It is quite old and i don’t know if the newer ones will fit it, i need to add about 2 meters and turn it 90 degrees, i was going to remove the top opening part of my window, fit a piece of ply with the flue through it.

Sponsored Links
The boiler should not be flued into any internal room. This in itself is a big no-no. Unless there is a specific extension kit for the boiler, which i doubt then it cant be extended and even if it could the flue run would be pushing the maximum allowed.

The boiler is currently flued into an incomplete room, no roof, for me to finish the extension i need to remove the flue so i can seal the room up( its having a Perspex roof) there is a window to the side of the boiler that goes directly outside, it’s about a total of 3, meters to get the flue outside this way, its only a temporary measure until i can get the room finished, 2 weeks max, i don’t fancy living with out heating for that amount of time.

The boiler is currently flued into an incomplete room, no roof, for me to finish the extension i need to remove the flue so i can seal the room up( its having a Perspex roof) there is a window to the side of the boiler that goes directly outside, it’s about a total of 3, meters to get the flue outside this way, its only a temporary measure until i can get the room finished, 2 weeks max, i don’t fancy living with out heating for that amount of time.

you can get extensions to enable you to flue your boiler out through your window but it depends on what your instructions for your particular boiler state. No on on here is going to give their blessing without seeing & assessing your particular situation.

Temporary or not, I would have an opinion from your local heating installer before continuing.

Sponsored Links
When you term it as an incomplete room because it has no roof you still fall foul of gas regs. To be acceptable there must be a minimum of 2 open sides for it t be legal and safe. Therefore your installation at present is still unsafe and should not be used. Call out an RGI and have them check over thoroughly.

This is an old boiler now and you are unlikely to find any flue parts.

However, please bear in mind that the domestic gas regulations do not recognise the word 'temporary'. Every domestic gas installation has to be considered permanent and installed to that criteria even if it is only going to be in operation for a week.

So if you were planning a heath robinson type temporary diversion, you won't find a Gas Safe Installer to fit it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back