Boiler Flue "Snorkel"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Gloworm Ultimate boiler circa 20 years old with the flue straight through the wall per the installation instructions:

upload_2021-10-6_12-53-14.png

The problem is that the flue runs downhill slightly between the outside and inside of the wall. Ordinarily this is not a problem but with the wind in the wrong direction rain will blow down the flue and run down the wall causing the RCD to trip as the water gets into the FCU for the boiler.

Is it possible to change the straight flue for a snorkel? I have seen some houses close to me where the boiler has been changed and a snorkel fitted to get the flue away from the side door

Sponsored Links
Is your boiler condensing? If not then you can’t have one fitted. If it’s condensing, then I’m assuming you mean a plume management kit as opposed to a snorkel? It depends if you can still get a new flue for your boiler, which is likely to have one fitted. Is the flue sealed to both sides of the fabric of the building? Does it have a weather seal?

No, it's not a condensing boiler. So it looks like i am stuck with electrics tripping!

I called the tube a snorkel as I haven't a clue what it is called. I just noticed them on a coupl houses in my street and they have had new boilers fitted - I assume that they they will be condensing types

Is there anything that could be used to prevent rain ingress - something to shield the flue without causing problems?

Ours' has a 'hood' over the top of the exit point out the wall. By that, I mean the pipe exits the wall and has a shroud or hood type surround over the top so that no driving rain can enter the pipe. Has worked that way since 2012 and was put in specifically to stop rain ingress as it was a problem before.

Sponsored Links
Is there anything that could be used to prevent rain ingress - something to shield the flue without causing problems?
You might be able to fit a weather shield, if it’s not sealed by mortar or equivalent then it will get in.

You might be able to fit a weather shield, if it’s not sealed by mortar or equivalent then it will get in.

That's exactly what I've suggested too. Since found out there's a brand who make them called "Weathersnug".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back