Boiler flue- under fire escape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Seems a fairly commonly asked question round these parts regarding legality of boiler flue installation but as every install's different I'll ask my own!
My neighbour's flue is positioned below the top landing of a cast iron fire escape which my kitchen door opens onto.
The steam is, as one would expect, rotting the fire escape and comes into my kitchen when the door is open & smells strongly of gas.
Is there anything I can do about this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 548
Sponsored Links
You can ask Gas Safe to inspect, and Environmental Health will take an interest too as it's causing you a considerable nuisance

Are you Gas Safe registered, Muggles?

There is nothing absolutely wrong with the installation, and the corrosion issue would be averted by some new paint.

In high density housing there will always be issues with people complaining about flue positioning - there could probably be a cheap solution like plume management depending on the age/make of the boiler and how much flue length is already inside the building.

I think this is an issue for Building Control as there is nothing spectacularly unsafe here, I guess you could say it makes the escape slippery, but does it? And so does rain. You would have to show that it was ruining your rights of enjoyment, by not being able to leave the door open onto a fire escape. A bit tenuous if you ask me.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys.
Yeah it was thrown in- I don't think the picture does the jaunty angle justice! These two flats were renovated at once and it was a developer below so some expense was spared to say the least! Their planning application actually had the boiler 20 feet away from where they eventually put it but I doubt that has any bearing.

Because we're at the top, its essentially a balcony for us! It just so happens to have some stairs down to a garden. It's a bit of a sun trap out there too so we will sit with a cuppa. We'll also have the kitchen door open through the day if we're in. (It's a novelty in a top floor flat!)

I have seen the regs are tailored for car ports for obvious reasons but did see something about flues for beneath balconies which would probably make it worse if it protruded beyond the canopy!

Ah well, I'll get out there with the Hammerite at the weekend then...

Are you Gas Safe registered, Muggles?
Yes, I am - have you never noticed me in the CC before? OP asked what he could do, I thought my suggestions were sensible as ways of getting an independent opinion on the matter. What was your issue with my post please?

That photo must be one of the worst possible for not showing anything very useful!

Is the decking solid or with holes in it?

How far back is the flue from the edge of the escape?

Regardless, I would say that it would be better if the flue extended at least to the edge of the escape. Either as flue or as a plume management kit.

Tony

There is nothing absolutely wrong with the installation.
Are you quite sure about that? I feel that BS5440 might disagree with you. Yes, it's only a standard and not a regulation, but it should still be considered when installing flues...

Assuming your flat is leasehold surely someone else is responsible for painting and protecting the structure?

Do you not have a freeholder, landlord or managing agent or are they all useless?

That photo must be one of the worst possible for not showing anything very useful!

Is the decking solid or with holes in it?

How far back is the flue from the edge of the escape?

Cheers! I do try!

It's solid and the flue is about a foot shy of the edge.

Assuming your flat is leasehold surely someone else is responsible for painting and protecting the structure?

Do you not have a freeholder, landlord or managing agent or are they all useless?

I'm in Scotland so it's freehold. We don't have a factor (agent) so just deal with stuff when it arises. I plan to paint just the underside of the landing so it's easier just to do that myself than get quotes and instruct work.

so it's easier just to do that myself than get quotes and instruct work.
You need to be careful that while painting there are no fumes are coming coming from the flue.

I recall from the diagram that came with my boiler that there is a minimum distance between a terminal ( flue pipe ) and any opening above the terminal. is it 300 or 600 mm. ?

Also there were minimum dimensions relating to structures protruding out from the wall above the terminal. Structures such as open end car ports.

The liquid that condenses out from the exhaust plume is not pure water, it contains dilute acid and will corrode metal faster than normal water+oxgen rusitng

Regardless of it being a fire escape, or tenuous worries of corrosion, you should not site a flue where the POC's will re-enter (or enter) a building. The terminal also appears to be too close to the owners own door:).

Siting flues in these properties are obviously a nightmare, but that does not make this right. IMO

Everyone happy with the flue being inside of an opening in the building fabric destined for the purpose of a window or door???!!

Remind me of the measurements, and are they internal or external of the opening??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back