Boiler Intermittently Firing Up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Firstly thanks for reading this. We have recently purchased our first house and I have a question regarding my boilers "activities" :D .

Below is a list of components (which reading some of the other post will mean a lot more to someone - unlike me)

Boiler (Installed in the Garage)
- Ideal Classic NF250
- Burner switch = ON
- Thermostat Knob = 4.5
- On the bottom I can see VR4601E A1024 (not sure if this is of any use)

Near the boiler (Top)
- Honeywell Frost stat
- Honeywell L64/B/004 - Set to 5 degrees celsius

Thermostat (Hallway)
- ACL Drayton
- Set to 21.5

Controller (?? - not sure if this is the correct terminology - Kitchen)
- Drayton Tempus Three
- Water and Heating configured to come on 6:00 - 7:50am and 6:00 - 7:30pm

Now to my question. I will be sat at home or even in bed late at night and I can hear the boiler fire up (normally outside of these times - 6:00 - 7:50am and 6:00 - 7:30pm). Originally I thought it was something to do with the frost stat but I'm convinced it has done it on slightly warmer days. Again I'm not sure how such systems should work but is it possible to tell me how and why this would happen - my main concern is the gas bill :(

Any info or comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly the frost stat. That's what they're supposed to do, to protect the system, especially in unheated spaces like the garage, from freezing. You could try turning the frost stat down a tiny bit, but not too low. Otherwise you could fit a pipe stat to work in conjunction with the frost stat so that once the return water reached a certain temperature the boiler would cut out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back