Boiler loss of pressure constantly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi yet again :<

I have read the solving guide for loss of pressure, but think it is not really what I am after. Please help again!

I needed to turn the CH off on my combi to do some work in the bathroom and turned it fully off, then back on within a few seconds. Then switched the CH off instead.

Now though the rads are making a heavy dripping noise/small bangs and the pressure drops from 1.2 to 0.5 within an hour. Switches off obviously and then kicks in when I top the pressure up again.

I have taken a lot of air out of the bathroom rad (only one with no thermostat) and again when we have the problem so air for sure.

Not had any problems like this before and surprised that turning it off then on would of caused this.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Sponsored Links
Make and model of boiler.

What work did you do in the bathroom to warrant turning off the boiler?

What is the pressure when the radiators are COLD?

Sponsored Links
Not had rads off as wanted heat due to kids. Heating has been on more or less for a couple of weeks constant.

Work was only a new floor, but as no thermo in bathroom it was too hot to work in!

Could be that the bangs you hear are “explosive” boiling of water in boiler, the overpressure would be farted out through the prv and result in pressure loss.
First guess would be your pump is not working properly, second guess is it would be a good idea to check for muck in the system.
Turn power off to boiler with spur or pull plug. Carefully unscrew the big silver screw in pump and make sure that no water can reach any electrical parts.
If the inside of the screw is black or brown my third guess is that my first two guesses were pretty close.

Thanks for that, will give that a try tonight.

Update on last night:
Turned off CH with water available but not used. Same again, dreaded red light and no hot water.

Turned out to be the dreaded leak. Guy came round and scratched his head a lot. Then we looked around.

Dining room ceiling damp, and when I pulled all the floor boards up I have punctured the pipe 3 times :<

Have been told that the way the pipes ran through the beams was very "unique" !! Still, not good for me.

So had the TRV changed, 2 stretches of pipe replaced and over 2 hours of work from the guys and cost was only £90. I am a lucky bunny!

Tip of the day to all amateurs like myself, dont think you can put nails in line with other nails, there are deamons lurking underneath :<

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back