Boiler maintain/replace??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,
I've just moved into a house in Watford, and it has the notorious Potterton Puma 80e boiler. With the info on the this site I managed to fix the HW flow switch (thanks guys), and it works OK - for now.
Also, some of the rads are quite old, and a couple need moving.
I'm not sure what to do.
A) Take out british gas insurance, and keep the boiler going.
B) Replace it with a HE boiler, and get the other work done at the same time.

I guess the question is - what sort of cost is involved in fitting a replacment boiler (anyone who covers the Watford area care to advise), and changing rads (or at least fitting thermostatic valves)?
I'm really looking for cost of labour, and someone decent from the area?

What do we think?
Many thanks chaps

Sponsored Links
We would charge about £840 plus boiler plus extra for moving radiators. But thats for doing it properly with a guarantee on water treatment.

However you will almost certainly get it done cheaper by a non CORGi registered person.

A West Indian from Watford was doing them in London ( badly ) for £250 and he was CORGI registered too. I doubt there was much power flushing involved though. His tiling was very amusing and he fitted an old bath he found in a skip for a landlord!

Tony

Sponsored Links
unfortunately Watford is full of helpful chaps like that - thats why i thought I'd ask on here for someone decent.
Agile, would you fit a boiler i supplied (Auntie works for Plumbers merch, can get the equipment at cost)?? Do you cover Watford.

MOD 2
this is a DIY forum
NOT a find a tradesman

Paul Barker said:
Have you got his number Tony? :LOL:

I did have it because I was called to inspect the boiler installation by the manufacturer as it had failed after just a few weeks. I found that as he had not cleaned the system, not surprisingly, the plate HE had become blocked.

Anyone can contact me through my profile by clicking on the user name, or do a google search or a BT directories or look on the beach at Weymouth etc.

Tony

"look on the beach at Weymouth" I've tramped that beach a few times in my life. It's a long drive from Sout East but worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back