Boiler noisy and difficult to get going after system refill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of fitting TRV’s to most of the radiators plus replacing the normal radiator with a towel rail type in the bathroom. I’ve been doing the job over a few weekends - part drain the system, remove a few rads, fit TRV’s and then refill the system.

I’ve done this twice now, each time it’s taken a while to get the boiler to run again without cutting out. The header tank is full, all rads and vents bleed properly but the boiler cuts out after a few seconds. Presumably this is because of an airlock and on both occasions a bit of trial and error turning on/off various rads and playing with the pump speed has eventually dislodged the airlock and resolved the problem. But I’m sure it shouldn’t take as long as it does!

A few days after the first drain/refill the boiler started to make a loud whining noise and occasional gurgling can be heard. It’s still running OK, but it’s annoyingly noisy.

I have some restorer and inhibitor chemicals to use when the job is done - could this stop the whining? Are there any other solutions anyone can think of?

All the rad pipework downstairs is 10mm, upstairs is 15mm. All downstairs rads have drain valves and I’ve been using these to drain the system. There is also what looks like a drain valve just above the boiler – could this be a better bet for draining the upstairs?

A bit of extra info:
Boiler is an Ideal Classic LXFF.
Pump is brand new.

Any help with how to get the boiler going quicker or eliminating the noise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kevin

Sponsored Links
For goodness sake stop doing the job in fits and starts, wait until you have a full day start and finish over one drain down and refill. We professionals avoid drain downs like the plague.

Yeah, I know. It's going to be finished this weekend.
Do you think the restorer/inhibitor chemicals are the right approach to sort out the boiler noise?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back