Boiler not staying on Ideal Classic LX FF 240

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Classic LX FF 240 regular boiler (not a combi). It's approx 4 years old. Just recently it's been turning itself off when it's not supposed to. :(

Originally I thought the pilot light had just gone off. But it has no pilot light. It has a On/Off switch and a dial from 1 to 6. The dial was on 2-3. Having read the manual it suggests between 5-6 in the winter. I've tried setting it to 5-6 and it was ok for a few days. but today it's starting going off again.

If I turn the boiler off for (approx 2 hours) it will start working as normal.

All the electrics seem OK.
Thermostat clicks (and does make the boiler start).
The hot water does heat up when the boiler is working
The radiators do get hot when the boiler is working.
The water pump in the upstairs cupboard is working. It's set to 2.

There is, what looks like, an automatic vent next to the pump, this is set to automatic. I switched it to manual and I did hear some air escape for maybe 1/2 second. I've now put this back to auto.

When the boiler is turned off (either manually or via thermostat) you can hear what sounds like a fan slowing down to a stop. This fan sounds like it's dusty or in need of lubrication or something.

There is a overheat stat reset button next to the on/off switch on the boiler. It mentions pressing this if the boiler overheats. I do not know if the boiler is overheating, but there looks like there is nothing to press. Or nothing has popped out on this overheat reset button. Should something popout if it is overheating?

When the boiler has "gone off" and will not start. When you try to turn it on, I can tell if it is going to start or not by whether or not the internal fan starts. If there is no fan noise then I know it's not going to start. If I hear the fan I know it will start, and it does.

There is a

1) What's the likely problem?
2) Is is likely to be a part or an adjustment
3) Likely cost, so I know not I'm not getting fleeced if I have to call someone in.

Thanks
e :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
"an automatic vent next to the pump, this is set to auto"
I think you'll find that's a motorised valve.

Sounds like your fan has got a limp. Could be a dry bearing which would go on a bit longer if it were oiled, or a bad connection. New pump costs £90 + vat RRP. Or rather less, if you find it yourself.

Can help you "find". Where are you?
anotherletterbox at aol.com Use the @ symbol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back