Boiler Pilot Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how to turn up the pilot light on a Main Medway boiler?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you have a problem with the pilot light, it is lkely that the pilot needs cleaning or you need a new thermocouple. These are jobs for someone competent to work with gas - e.g. a Corgi registered business.

One wonders quite why you want to turn it up?

It uses about £30 p.a. of gas when it is correctly set!

Perhaps its blowing out and this could indicate another combustion fault.

I assume this is another appliance which is never serviced!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
The reason for asking is that it won't stay lit and keep blowing out.

I've managed to find somebody from a recommendation at work who says the thermocoupler needs replacing and he is going to do it later on today.

Many thanks for all the replies

The thermocouple is fine or the pilot will not light/stay in the first place

When the pilot is lit does the flame reach the thermocouple if not then its probably a blocked pilot injector/ burner.
Not a job for unqualified and occasionally a ball ache for those who are unless they can sort it out with an air duster.

not always thermo-couples get weaker with age for the price if i suspect they are faulty change them

morite

Main Medway is a Multi-point Water Heater I believe.

It is possible that the pilot jet needs cleaning or replacing.

This is a job that should be done be a CORGI registered installer, so make sure the 'somebody at work' is suitably qualified.

He has aready told us! He said:-

" The reason for asking is that it won't stay lit and keep blowing out. "

We then told him that it probably needs cleaning. His response is to get "someone" at work to change the thermocouple.

Of course we know that just changing the thermocouple will not stop the pilot blowing out.

Of course it may not be really "blowing out", it may actually be "going out" in which case it might be the thermocouple! Remember that DIYers are not exact with their descriptions!

Tony Glazier

Make sure your fitter fits a genuine thermocouple and NOT a universal one.
In 6 months time you will need another one. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back