Boiler prob after power loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several hours after switching on my hot water (I only heat the water when I need it) the boiler switched itself off, this turned out to be the fuse in the boilers 13A plug. I've replaced the fuse & relit the pilot but when I try to switch on either the CH or heat the water the pipes near the boiler start to bang and the system doesn't start up.
It is a Myson Apollo Fanfare conventional heating system and in this picture http://www.byphotos.com/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=4673772 the top two pipes seem to be the ones doing the banging, around what I think is the circulator pump.(not too clued up on heating systems)

Any ideas what could have happened to cause the fuse to blow & what has possibly went wrong with the system?

Sponsored Links
Sound like your pump playing up (is it old?) if it is try changing it and they cost approx £27 onward.You can isolated the valve on each side of the pump fitting but make sure you turn off the mains when re-connecting the wire.Also see this

Thanks for the quick reply, I half suspected the pump was to blame but you've confirmed my thoughts & given my hope that the old thing isn't dead yet.

Cheers

Verify that there's water in thesystem (header tank). Then check pump by uindoing big centre screw and feel with a small sdriver that shaft is turning. (some water will come out)

You're likely to have trubbles changing that pump. The isolators look like nasty 1/4 turn things which will leak afterwards, assuming you can turn them . The big pump nuts will probaby be hard to undo too.

Sponsored Links
Just a quick thanks for the advice, It was the pump after all, busted one of the isolators getting it off though :(
At least we now have heat & hot water again!
Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back