Boiler Problem!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a HEATLINE COMPACT 24 Combi.

Ever since i had it installed in January i have had a few probs.

Firstly a rather loud "HUM" when the hot water is run.....Heatline engineer says this is normal?????

Also the "thud" when the pilot light ignites can sometimes sound like the boiler is about to explode! This was looked at also and the (without knowing the technical term) gas was turned down?

The "thud" doesnt always happen everytime it lights the flame but when it does happen the whole house shakes. Needless to say this is slightly worrying.

Is there any advice before i contact HEatline again and they tell me its "normal"

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Not familiar with this boiler but what you describe is 'explosive ignition' - which should NOT happen. The boiler has electronic ignition, so the ignition sequence should be something like: start fan - wait ten seconds - open pilot valve and start spark ignition - detect flame - open main gas valve: at which point the boiler should light up the main burner QUIETLY. There are various 'soft start' features around. this boiler also has a modulating gas valve (ie. the burner pressure adjusts up and down to vary the heat ouptut) so it SHOULD achieve a quiet start by opening the valve at low pressure to start with and only go to full burn after a delay. If the INITIAL burner pressure was turned DOWN to fix the problem - I'm surprised. If the max pressure setting was adjusted down, i'm still surprised - neither change could do any good as far as I can see.

Does the bang happen in CH mode? or in hot-water-only mode? or both?

Im sure it happens with both CH and hot water. I mainly notice it though when the heating is on.

The mode of the boiler is on CH and H/W

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back