Boiler replaced, system flushed - pumping over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 'normal' (not combi) vented heating and hot water system with a cylinder in the airing cupboard, and F+E tank in the loft. A week ago we had our boiler replaced, the 'H section' air separator in the airing cupboard removed, and system power flushed. All seemed well after installation.

Before the works we had a pumping over problem which meant a slight drip from the F+E tank - which was alleviated by switching the pump down to 1. Not a problem since we didn't have CH on in the summer anyway. Tonight I put the CH on as it was a bit nippy and after an hour or so I hear this loud splattering which was quite a lot of water running out of the F+E overflow outside. This stopped after about 10 seconds. I run into the loft and the F+E tank is warm (not hot) and the water is up to the level of the overflow outlet. No water is coming in via the F+E in pipe. No more water is going to the outside.

Some other info which may not be relevant: the boiler installer said that someone previously (probably British Gas) had 'turned off' the F+E tank using a stop cock and the ball cock was faulty. They turned it back on and replaced the ball cock. Also, the system seems noiser than before. Some of the radiators gurgle loudly now. I wasn't expecting that but again, it could be totally normal. I haven't bled the radiators since the system was flushed out. They recommended I do that a week after the boiler install and flush.

I was expecting that any pumping over problem would be sorted due to the power flush (and air seperator removal). Before I go back to the firm which installed the boiler I need to know if occasional F+E overflow is to be expected or whether it is a problem and I should demand someone look at it. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Never expect any pumping over,

It may be a fault with the original pipe layout.

It could also be a fault with the ball valve level setting. It should turn off the supply when there is about 100 mm of water in the cistern.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back