Boiler replacement: are system upgrades mandatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to change a 25yr old boiler still going strong, but the first corgi fitter we've had in is saying he can't do a straight swap without changing the hot tank (vented) or fitting TRVs. [£1100 EXC the boiler + bits]
I recognise a foam tank insulation and TRVs are good, and would never replace old ones without the upgrade, but is it mandatory to review the whole system when doing a boiler change?

or is this guy just jacking up the total job value?

At the moment I just want to keep the heat off for as short a time as possible. (And anyway I can do all that myself, from 20 years in engineering inc some at a well known Yorkshire plumbing parts factory).

Thanks for your advice - Harry

Sponsored Links
yes a system upgrade is neccesary, courtesy of fat john at the office of deputy prime minister.
you must have TRVs and a room thermostat if changing from an open vented to a sealed combi system.
If your sticking with an open vented then you will also require a cylinder thermostat as well,if there`s not one fitted.
You will find all info in part L of the building regs.
all new boilers and gas applinces must also be notified to corgi who will arrange for you to get a certificate from your local council building inspectors to go in your house selling pack.

But there's nothing to stop you fitting them and just getting the corgi guy to change the boiler.

New system must also be Fully Pumped - though it may be so already.

And the boiler instructions will doubtless require a Powerflush of the old system, is that included in the price? That is likely to make old normal rad valves leak, as they will have to be moved. At 25 years old you might be well advised to change those too.

Sponsored Links
powerflush is not a requirement,FLUSHING of the sys is required as is inhibitor,none of the manufacturers state you must use a xyz machine or we will not honour your warrenty or do they chris?

No but they usually quote the BS, which in turn has stuff about full flow flush points etc etc. (I have a copy somewhere). By the time you'd done that you might as well connect your flusher. So though yes you're right "Powerflushing" (whatever thet means exactly) isn't specified, a fill and empty from the drain cock won't do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back