Boiler setting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to my condition (some may, some may not know: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=378796&start=0 ) I need a constant heat rather than a quick blast of heat to get the room up to temperature.

Is it better to have the boiler set for the heating temperature to be lower?
It is currently set midway at 3 out of 6. WB Greenstar 24i Junior.
Room stat set at 20°c.
TRV set at 6 (Drayton).

Remember, I'm only a lowly ex counterboy.

Sponsored Links
It is more efficient for the boiler to be delivering a lower flow temperature as long as that keeps the room warm enough.

Of course better still to have weather compensation.

The Worcester unit is very good indeed although I cannot be certain that it is compatible with your model but it probably is.

Tony

How very charitable of you.

Confirms our suspicions of you being a rather nasty person. Charnwood has been a very popular and helpful part of this forum for much longer than this iteration of your personality disorder.

Charnwood, it depends on the size of the rads, the heatloss of the rooms and the temperature you are trying to achieve.

Get yourself a wrap around pipe stat and put it on the flow pipe. Get the boiler set to about 60 and see how things go. Best to try and compare different temperatures whilst the outside temperature is still fairly constant. You might find that much below 60, and things won't was up enough.

Chantelle, I thought we'd agreed to keep out of each others way previously. ;)

My condition is posted in General Discussion and generated 7 pages of posts, so there are some charitable people on these forums.

Thanks for your comments, anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony and Dan.
My chair is roughly 2 feet from the radiator. when the heat kicks in I get 'blasted' with radiant heat, but - even though the room is up to temperature - when the rad is cooling/cold, because the radiant heat is no more I start to feel a chill.

Just a thought Chantelle, an old maxim - if you can't say anything positive then don't say anything at all.

I hope for your sake that if you are ever unfortunate enough to fall ill then you find you are surrounded by people with a more supportive attitude than you.

How about fitting a programmable room stat, so you can have setback temps to suit your needs?

Thanks Tony and Dan.
My chair is roughly 2 feet from the radiator. when the heat kicks in I get 'blasted' with radiant heat, but - even though the room is up to temperature - when the rad is cooling/cold, because the radiant heat is no more I start to feel a chill.

A lower rad temperature may well make things more comfortable - trying to simulate ufh in a way, on for longer but lower. A tricky balance when taking the rest of the house into account.

Do you have problems regulating your body temperature in general? I would set the trv to the correct level for you, lower the boiler stat until you get the right balance.

A pity your boiler can't take weather comp, as it may have made it easier to maintain that sweet point.

Thanks Tony and Dan.

That implies to me that you need the boiler on all the time with a low flow temperature.

Try setting to 60 C for a start.

I still strongly recommend the Worcester weather compensation. As you presumably know it varies the rad temp according to the amount of heat needed to give the set temperature as calculated by considering the outside temp.

Tony

How about fitting a programmable room stat, so you can have setback temps to suit your needs?

I fitted a Honeywell CMT907 a while back - without landlord's permission (local authority property). They then replaced the heating system, the controls being a right BOS! A Danfoss manual thermostat and separate timer. The timer being independent from the stat means having to alter temps manually, there are only 3 time zones.

I still have the 907 so might seek proper permission this time.
Although, I'm fairly certain what the answer will be! :rolleyes:

That implies to me that you need the boiler on all the time with a low flow temperature.
Sounds about right. Something that will keep a roughly constant low-20s temperature to cater for both me and Mrs neshperson.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back