Boiler stove linkup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how much work would be involved in linking up a wood burning boiler stove to an existing oil fired heating system, the system is vented with a hot water cylinder and is fully pumped. I have 2 15mm pipes feeding the upstairs radiators and 2 22mm pipes feeding the hot water cylinder running up the side of the fire place. I have read about neutralizers but wanted a simple linkup if it is possible.

Sponsored Links
A lot depends on the size of the solid fuel stove !.
I have a 6.8kw(water) 2.5kw(direct radiaton) solid fuel Dunsley back boiler (water section now de-commissioned). Approved by Hetas Ltd to B.S 4834.
Relatively higher outputs than those stated above can be acheived by burning more fuel.
Link up on this was acheived via a twin coil cylinder and heat leak radiator.

The piping arrangement was also connected to the CH via the oil boiler.
What happened is that when the oil boiler was running alone the solid fuel appliance became a radiator with most of the heat escaping up the chimney. :(

There are lots of pitfalls to avoid and regulations to comply with.
Best get youself an approved Hetas installer. :D
http://www.hetas.co.uk/index.html

I think it's best to use the woodburner as a space heater, and not run a boiler from it. They are generally not good at this, though some models are ok. If you need water heating, just use the immersion heater. It sounds like electric would be expensive, but the maintenance is very low.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back