Boiler works for cold water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have just had central heating fitted in my 2 bed flat. A Baxi Duotec combi provides hot water and heating.

The boiler is behaving in a way that suprises me and I am hoping someone can confirm wether this is normal behaviour or not. Unfortunately the fitters do not return my phone call since I paid them.

The boiler seems to spring into action when the cold water taps are used. When running only a cold tap (no hot or heating) the boiler makes a noise similar to when I run the hot water tap. This suprises me. Why would a boiler operate when cold water is drawn? Is this normal?

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
No, it's not normal. I'd advise leaving a message on your fitters answerphone that tells them that if they do not contact you within a given timeframe, then you will contact gassafe to make a complaint and look at taking legal action.

It could be, of course, that they are on holiday.

The installer has probably left a dead leg in the hot water circuit and it is full of air.

This dead leg should be removed to cure your problem and also comply with anti-legionnaire disease regs.

Sponsored Links
This is getting way worse.

Most worrying the Gas Safe number they provided is invalid according to the Gas Safe sight. When I speak to the engineer I will ask him about this and if he cannot provide a genuine number I suppose I must report him to Gas Safe.

Most of the pipes run under wooden floors but in concrete in the small kitchen. Here the lagged pipes are proud of the concrete and visible. The concrete itself is below floor level so I cloud add concrete myself. This would leave the pipes perhaps 3-6mm under floor level. Is this OK?

They have also failed to post me the promised receipt. My girlfriend said I was a fool to pay them. They had already made me wait a week with no floorboards, left the flat in a state and at my insistence repositioned two rads which were originally touching window sills.

One last twist. Days after paying these fitters my bank account was cleared out by fraudulent transactions. Obviously I am not implying anything about their involvement. Because it was a debit card the bank are saying I will not be refunded. Anyway thats another story but it means I have no money to pay another fitter to sort this out. I suppose there isn't a trade scheme to help out those turned over by non-engineers!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back