bolier fuse blows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a glowworm hideaway bolier on its own fuse, even when the boilers isn't on the fuse in the consumer unit trips at random times. Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
stu_york said:
we have a glowworm hideaway bolier on its own fuse, even when the boilers isn't on the fuse in the consumer unit trips at random times. Any ideas anyone?

you have a power problem you need to get your sockets checked out by an electriciandoes it blow any other fuses in the house

no just that one, everything else works fine (sockets and switches). The boiler is all on its own. We did have a halogen bulb blow yesterday, could that have anything to do with it, could the fuse that trips be faulty? or the wire from the consumer unit to the boiler?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

it even trips the fuse when nothing else in the house is switched on, not even the boiler

When you say the boiler isn't on do you mean the boiler is isolated or the whole heating system?

Sponsored Links
Presumably the pump also runs off the same circuit. I would have thought a short circuit or an earth leakage in that might be the cause.

What other controls (e.g. motorised valves, thermostats, programmers) are there on the circuit?

Do you know how to carry out electrical checks with a multimeter? If not, there's probably not a lot you can do - perhaps see if mcb tripping correlates with pump running or fan running. Any sign of water leakage around pump head?

i will do the checks and look for leaks too. thanks for your help

You keep on talking about a "fuse" in a consumer unit!

Now do you really still have a wire fuse system or do you mean an MCB or even an RCD ???

Which is it?

Tony

SOunds like its something damp. Have a good sniff round the pump. I daresay you'd recognise the characteristic "burnt" smell. Found a pump breaking down to earth that way just today. Customer thought I was a bit odd and purely lucky to have found the culprit first go!

funny it hasnt done it in the last 3 hours, will have a look around the pump in the morning, thanks for the help, will post back my findings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back