Boliermate II preventitive maintenance / servicing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Gledhill boliermate II which was installed back in '99. It has given no trouble but has never been serviced so I'm, worried it may have been neglected and cost £££ in the future to sort out..

So, can someone recommend what needs / should be done?

(descaling, add inhibitor, clean central heating system/ fit a filter etc).

Is this a DIY job or best left to an expert? Would I need to buy / hire tools etc.

Also what is the likely cost of this sort of work and can anyone recommend someone (I'm based in Ealing west London).

Thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
Richard. You seem to be lucky with your Boilermate II. We got a Boilermate III (suppose it's similar) and have experienced heaps of problems, especially with the hot water supply. Also tank doesn't look to good on some spots anymore with corrosion and so on. Maybe we were just unlucky that when it was installed in 2000, the job was done by some sort of comboy that didn't do it properly.

So far had the heatexchanger replaced and one pum and spen over £1000 for plumbers and still no guarantee that it will work for the next few months.

Anywy, our experience was that quite a lot of the plumbers that came around weren't familiar with the Boilermate system. So finding a guy who knows what he is dealing with might be the trickiest bit if you want to get it services by someone else. I find that the system itself is not that difficult to understand and comlicated, but also have to say that be don't trust the brand anymore. Gledhill also seem to be not very customer friendly in regards to after sales support as they only deal with installers.

Probably my advice would be, if it still works, leave it and don't touch it. The only thing might be to get some sludge remover and inhibitor into your system

Tom

the BM3 is best left alone.

the BM2 is a simpler unit and far more forgiving. the biggest problem will be the cold feed will block up eventually if it hasnt already. if it has/does then a new cold feed can be run on the outside of the case from the feed and expansion tank to the drain outlet.....not a huge drama.

inhibitors do help these beasts a great deal and i would recommend you do it asap. it may keep it going for a good deal longer.

you already know that most folk are scared of them and trying to find someone to work on them may be a pain.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

Can you give me some info regarding inhibitor? For instance what brand should I buy and how do I go about getting it inside the boliermate?

Does / will the inhibitor work its way around the central heating system as well?

Cheers

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back