Bonding over a skimmed wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a studded wall in the bathroom at the end of the bath where the shower is going. It has been plaster boarded and skimmed over but I now find out that the old stud wall is not straight and is out of level.

Do I wet the skim down with water and then use bonding plaster to straighten the wall or do I PVA first and then bond and do I have to key the wall with a knife first?

I am a bit worried about the PVA not holding the weight of the bonding and tiles?

After tiling I understand I need to use the Aquaseal Wet Room Tanking System over the new plaster before tiling. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Pull the PB off and use Aquapanel - true it up - and off you go.

Thanks for your advice but but I have no choice but to bond over the the skim at this piont. I have no transport and the delivery cost I can't aford. But I do have all the plaster I need to do the job.

Do you have any advice on bonding over the old skim please?

Thanks

Do you have any advice on bonding over the old skim please?

I think you are leaving yourself open to big problems here -
- when skimming over boards and tiling, the skim does not adhere strongly to the board and limits the weight of subsequent tiling - so generally tiling is done straight onto board.
- some tanking before tiling may probably protect the bonding underneath - but in general gypsum plaster does not like water-rich areas like in a shower and it usually finds a way. You have both gypsum multi-finish and bonding in the mix.
- PVA is water soluble so not great in a shower area
Joe is trying to steer you away from a mistake and a more robust solution in the long run. Maybe better to wait, save a bit and ask a friend to help with the boards. You're only talking about a shower area, which is not a huge area.
If you progress with bonding, lay out money for tiles, adhesives, get shower fitted etc you could find a big problem in the long run.

That said, if you're pressing ahead anyway, trying to plumb up a wall with bonding is do-able, but you'll need levels to work from.
Usually when floating Bonding you create a couple of screeds to work off. Usually make these with some thin pieces of wood and put plaster in between and float off these with a darby or straight edge. It depends how much thickness you need to build out. In could be a 'wedge' shape on the wall feathered to nothing, which I'd imagine is tricky - especially if you're not experienced.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for answering my questions and the advice. I will have a very good think about what you have both said before making a decision.

If I do go ahead and use bonding will I need to PVA the wall first or can I just wet it down and bond over., what is best?

Thanks

Micilin,

Why not use PVA and what is the difference between ThistleBond-it Plaster Bonding Agent and PVA?

Apart from the price.

Thanks

I've just been reading up on Thistle Bond-it Plaster Bonding Agent and some one said to just mix some sand into the PVA and brush that on the skim to give it a key as it does the same thing.

What do you think or does Thistle Bond-it dry into the wall differently?

I have a question about bond-it and similar products.

Does bond-it reactivate like PVA when it gets wet?

Bonding behind wiles on a wall at the head of a bath with a shower on is a recipe for disaster, aquapanel will be by far the cheapest and best option if you only need to do the job once.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back