Booster Pump fitted to outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Purchased a booster pump from Machine Mart - http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...k/path/booster-centrifugal-pumps/brand/clarke

Purpose is to boost water pressure down a garden hosepipe. Is it ok to connect the mains water as a feed to this unit via a garden tap? It has a non return valve on the tap.

I want to increase the pressure, but not to the extent of a pressure washer. Hosepipe length is approx 90m, primary use is to water a vegetable plot.

Any advice greatly received.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
bobfleming25 said:
Purpose is to boost water pressure down a garden hosepipe. Is it ok to connect the mains water as a feed to this unit via a garden tap? It has a non return valve on the tap.
No. You need written permission from the Water Co for any pump capable of delivering more than 12 l/min fed direct from mains (and also from a tank supplied from mains). Ring them and ask what info you need to send in. You then have to write to them and if they don't respond within 10 days, permission is deemed to have been granted.

Why not use the pump from a Water Butt and supplement the level water butt with your hose as and when required?

Thanks for the response :D

I think I get more than 12 litres per minute without the pump... How is this different from a pressure washer, aside from pressure?

The pressure washer doesn't boost the flow, it pushes the same amount of water through a smaller aperture at a higher pressure.

A booster pump doesn't reduce the outlet bore so can therefore draw more water than incoming pipework allows, leading to negative pressures upstream of the pump. This ahs the potential to cause backsiphonage, drawing contaminants into drinking water.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again.

So how would one of these pumps normally be plumbed in to a system, if used full-time? It states it's purpose is to boost low or fluctuating mains water pressure.

Appreciate the advice.

Usually mains water comes in to a break tank/cistern via a float-operated valve (ball cock), water is then boosted with the pump from the tank outlet.

HI
I Believe you can have the pump fed from a tank then you do not need consent from the water board so if you got a pump with a tank and a none return valve fitted its ok to use

outsider said:
HI
I Believe you can have the pump fed from a tank then you do not need consent from the water board so if you got a pump with a tank and a none return valve fitted its ok to use

Officially you are supposed to inform them of any pump over 12 litres/min regardless of whether it is tank or mains fed. I have never been able to understand why (I mean, water flowing into a tank can only flow at the rate it would out of a tap so can't be that much more of a risk can it?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back