Booster pump/sealed water system issue

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have a Grundfos MQ3-45 pump fitted on my sealed domestic water system (pump runs when tap, toilet etc is used). The hot water cylinder is located on the middle floor, there is a shower, sink etc on the floor above it. Recently the pump has started to run on its own for 10secs at different times of the day/night. This suggested to me there was either a leak in the pipework/fittings in the house or the pump was faulty. I fitted a gate valve to the outgoing side of the pump. This would isolate the water supply to the house when closed. I verified this valve worked correctly before integrating into the system. With valve closed I could hear the pump run during the night. I fitted new MQ pump but this has not solved the issue! I have checked toilets, taps, showers and all are dry. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
it must be that the pump is detecting water movement and the internal switch is activating the pump. It could be on the oncoming mains too, if there is a drop in mains pressure that's creating the movement. Only way to test that would be to have a valve either side and see if it then stops.

Thanks very much for the reply Madrab. Apologies but my knowledge is limited. The pump is fed from overhead tank in attic (gravity??) using 1"copper pipe. There is a gate valve fitted on that pipe just before the pump. Are you saying I should try closing that valve also to test? Do I close both valves together either side?
There is also a non return valve fitted to the copper pipe on the incoming side (feed) of the pump. I replaced that also with a new one as the internals were worn. I also understand that there is a built in non return valve in the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back