Borders and woodchips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

we're finally getting started on our new house and I've been getting stuck into the borders up against the house.
There were a ton of creeper vines that I've done my best to remove, forking down around 2ft and getting rid of pretty much any vegetation I could find.

My wife is now enthused and has planted a bunch of flowers & bulbs in the virgin soil.
I reckon, through no more knowledge than reading product brochures, that we should put down woodchip or similar, to fight off the weeds. TBH, neither of us has a heart-felt desire to spend endless weekends pulling up weeds; is woodchip the way to go?

Thanks
Scott

Sponsored Links
Any kind of mulch will help suppress weeds to a certain degree. Perenials such as dandelions will still come up through it but it will help with wind blown annuals

Its good to put down some weed barrier cloth to help suppress the weeds, you can cut holes in it to allow plants to grow...coloured gravel can be handy as a fill in, a bit more substantial than mulch or bark.

Unless you have a greenhouse and can grow your own from plug plants and if the borders are big I would plant some perennials....it is a hard job to constantly keep planting annuals, and quite costly too.

Sponsored Links
You can't fabric over it if you've planted bulbs unless you have OCD and marked their position exactly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back